German Pils Pilsen for all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast Bohemian Lager (2124)
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3° yellow
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 40
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 35
Mash 152 for 60min
boil 7.5 down to 5.5 90min to avoid DMS

93% 10lb 8oz Belgian Pils 37 2
4% 8oz American Wheat 39 2
2% 4oz American Dextrin (Cara-Pils) 33 1

60 0.75 Sterling leaf 6.3
20 1.0 Sterling leaf 6.3
0-5 0.75 Sterling leaf 6.3

Wyeast Bohemian Lager (2124)
5.9% A.B.V.

what would you recommend if i wanted to use dry yeast for this recipe? and one or two packs? also, do you just transfer to a secondary? and do you re-pitch at that time or all at once? thanks and sorry for all the questions. i am doing my first pilsner and i like yours the best so far.

Since the OP hasn't logged in for 7 months, maybe I can help. Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 is the dry equivalent to 2124. Two packs in 5 gallons is a good pitch rate. Repitching will not be necessary in just 5 weeks.

944play said:
Since the OP hasn't logged in for 7 months, maybe I can help. Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 is the dry equivalent to 2124. Two packs in 5 gallons is a good pitch rate. Repitching will not be necessary in just 5 weeks.

Thank you very much. Have you brewed this? I want to change the hop profile a bit to make it a more unique pilsner. Any recommendations?

I haven't brewed this recipe, but I tend to prefer a lot more hops in my Pilsner. That may have something to do with my usual lager yeast choice, 2308, which could be considered a malt-forward strain, so I would suggest brewing the recipe as written, or as closely as you can.

Back