Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Pilsner > All-Grain - Ocas Lishky (Pilsner Urquell Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #21
BadMrFrosty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Of course it isn't as good as the real thing, but you'd be surprised with this beer. Much of the "odd" ingredients are to compensate for not doing a triple decoction.

I have had the beer at the brewery and in several bars in the Plzen area, so I have a pretty good idea what it tastes like - including the unfiltered version
The unfiltered and unpasteurized or "Tankové" beer tastes quite different from a normal draft pint. Would you compare your version to the standard draft or the Tankové?

Although I much prefer the Tankové version, it is not as widely available and is not what most people (mistakenly or not) would consider the real PU taste. However, almost all of the big breweries now offer a unfiltered beer labeled as tankové, nefiltrovaná, kvasnicová or nepasterizovaná which are becoming available in more and more pubs so maybe that opinion will change in time.

Primary: Beer, Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Isn't this the beer that won the PU competition, complete with a trip to the brewery? Was it considered a "clone", or just a great representative of a BoPils?
The goal of the competition was to "clone" PU. As I have mentioned before, this is not what I set out to do. The contest announcement was a bit vague about this. I was lucky in that what I brewed just happened to be more like the stuff that was just starting to be cold shipped to the USA, and not what I had previously been used to. I think if I had tried to brew exactly what I had been used to I might not have won. The cold shipping definitely makes a difference!

Out of the full kegs of BoPils, Kolsch Saison, and session IPA I served at our recent pig roast (a hot day), the BoPils kicked first

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMrFrosty View Post
The unfiltered and unpasteurized or "Tankové" beer tastes quite different from a normal draft pint. Would you compare your version to the standard draft or the Tankové?

Although I much prefer the Tankové version, it is not as widely available and is not what most people (mistakenly or not) would consider the real PU taste. However, almost all of the big breweries now offer a unfiltered beer labeled as tankové, nefiltrovaná, kvasnicová or nepasterizovaná which are becoming available in more and more pubs so maybe that opinion will change in time.
More like the standard draft, although the first couple of pints out of the keg are a little yeasty and remind me of the Tankové. I also preferred the Tankové! I see that this is is now making it to England occasionally. Perhaps it will make it to the USA as well

I should mention, that out of all of the crazy ingredients I use, the one that finally made the beer taste like a BoPils was the home-toasted malt. When I got into lager brewing I had made several attempts at a BoPils, but they always ended up tasting more German-like, even with using soft water, CZ hops, etc. One day I remembered seeing in the 1st edition of Papazian's "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" that in the ingredient table (extract + specialty grains) for various brew styles, toasted malt was listed for the BoPils. I had tried this WAY back when I first got into brewing and had tried a BoPils as an ale (what has I thinking?). When I added the toasted malt, bingo, I finally had something that tasted Czech.
Primary: OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison, light beer - yes, light beer
Brewing soon: IPA, Belgian IPA, Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition
Yooper Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
raef
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do appreciate all feedback (banter). Going to give it a try today. Time will tell but I'm excited and quite curious about this recipe. Thanks

Old 08-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
Crashola
Recipes 

My buddy and I just brewed a double batch of this on Saturday. It was a joint effort, but it was essentially two five-gallon batches on our respective equipment. It's in the fermenters and looking good. It should be a good comparing the two. For example, his OG was a few points higher than mine.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #25
raef
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine is two days into lager and also a split batch.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #26
makellr
MAKELLR
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

I have a few questions about this recipe.

Was the Pilsener malt you used well-modified or under-modified?

Your brewhouse efficiency is 90%. Where I do mine is 77%. So, for the grain bill I multiply your weight by 90/77, right?

Does this efficiency also affect hops?

I plan to FWH with Saaz, Santiam, and a little bit of Magnum. I like the Santiam and Magnum for the same reason you used Sterling. I had also planned hop additions at 20 min, 8 min and flameout with Santiam and Saaz.

I imagine you got a very nice head with the adjuncts, and that no crystal or cara malt was needed...

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated. This is my first all-grain and first lager, although my partner is experienced and successful with Ales(all-grain).

Old 08-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by makellr View Post

Well modified

Your brewhouse efficiency is 90%. Where I do mine is 77%. So, for the grain bill I multiply your weight by 90/77, right?

Yep

shouldn't as long as the SG is similar

I plan to FWH with Saaz, Santiam, and a little bit of Magnum. I like the Santiam and Magnum for the same reason you used Sterling. I had also planned hop additions at 20 min, 8 min and flameout with Santiam and Saaz.

I tend to be light handed with my flavor (0.5 oz) and aroma (0.25 oz) additions as they compete with malty flavors, which you want to accentuate in this style - if you are trying to be authentic.

I imagine you got a very nice head with the adjuncts, and that no crystal or cara malt was needed...

VERY nice head

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated. This is my first all-grain and first lager, although my partner is experienced and successful with Ales(all-grain).

Pitch the proper amount of yeast, and keep your temperatures under control. Too warm and you can get some sweeter, bubble gummy flavors
If you have any more questions, let me know
Primary: OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison, light beer - yes, light beer
Brewing soon: IPA, Belgian IPA, Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 08-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #28
makellr
MAKELLR
Recipes 

Originally Posted by makellr View Post

Well modified

Yep

shouldn't as long as the SG is similar

I tend to be light handed with my flavor (0.5 oz) and aroma (0.25 oz) additions as they compete with malty flavors, which you want to accentuate in this style - if you are trying to be authentic.

The grain bill is malty. I will be adding the home-toasted Pilsener malt. Toasting malt like that is something I have done before, albeit not during the 21st century.

The "hops bill" we plan is a bit different, but the IBUs add up the same. I can't resist the temptation to go a bit beyond style with the aroma hops. Some of them just smell so good. If I can convince myself about authenticity, I will eliminate the addition at flameout.

VERY nice head

Pitch the proper amount of yeast, and keep your temperatures under control. Too warm and you can get some sweeter, bubble gummy flavors

We plan to pitch about 4 to 5 Liters. Two experienced Lager brewers recommended WY 2124 for first Lager. They said it is robust and easy to work with. I realize this is not perfectly authentic for a Pilsener, but I expect it to produce something yummy. We have tested the fermentation cooler. It will hold 10 C no problem. Lagering will take place in a converted chest freezer that should hold a good temp as well.

Thank you so much for your encouragement.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #29
makellr
MAKELLR
Recipes 

Dear PJJ,

After many months, my version of Bohemian Pilsner, based mostly on what I learned from reading your recipe and your answers to my questions, is ready to drink. Results are very tasty and easy to look at. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #30
makellr
MAKELLR
Recipes 

I think I got the pix right this time.

Attached Images

Quick Reply