Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Pilsner > All-Grain - Ocas Lishky (Pilsner Urquell Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
rig242
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Home Roasting Grains

Hello,

This recipe calls for roasting some of the grains at home. There is no good malt supplier where I live so I order my malt on the net. My supplier is always kind enough to grind my malt for me so i don't have to. My question is, can I roast the malt after it has been ground? This would roast the inside and not just the husk as it would when you roast pre grinding. I am excited to try this recipe as I have tried others PU recipes that clone the bottled US version but never one that aims to replicated the taste as it is served in the CZ.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think it would still work, but I would probably cut down on the toasting time, perhaps by as much as half

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
castermmt

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm going to make this my first Lager of the year next week using my all electric HERMs system. I'm thinking of doing a little step mashing. I'll let you know how it turns out. Castermmt

Finally brewing this this morning. Everything going OK so I'll know how it turns out in a few months.

Fuzzy Logic Brewery, Check it out here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/fuz...rewery-288498/

Old 07-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
raef
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Going to brew this weekend. A quick? Primary at what temp and sec
Lager at 50?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Primary and secondary at 50 F. Lager just above freezing. I normally ferment in primary for 2-3 weeks and then keg it and keep the keg at 50 F for another week or two before dropping to lager temps - sort of a secondary.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
BadMrFrosty
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I visited the Pilsner Urquell brewery a few weeks back armed with several recipes for clones. I spoke at length with the master brewer (in Czech language) about the accuracy of the recipes. This came out as one of the worst. Although he obviously would not give the exact recipe he did confirm its essentially a SMASH using pilsner malt and ZPC hops grown in CZ, the Saaz hops grown elsewhere are a poor imitation. Having brewed this recipe I agree it is nothing like a real PU. Maybe you get something over there that is Pilsner Urquell by name alone? The real stuff should be 4.4% alcohol, quite sweet, little to no hop aroma with creamy mouth feel, a mild hop taste and a mild bitterness.

Primary: Beer, Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer

Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Of course this recipe is nothing like the real Pilsner Urquell recipe. I don't have access to their malt and hops. However, using the ingredients we have access to, and using my equipment, this recipe comes pretty close to the PU we can get here. I'm talking the stuff that is kept cold all the way to the USA (which is different from the stuff that we used to get that was not refrigerated). The PU brewmaster himself rated the results of this recipe 1st, and then 2nd place in consecutive years.

If it were as simple as just using 100% pilsner malt and ZPC hops, then everyone who brewed that recipe would get a beer exactly like PU. This clearly is not the case. The process (and the brewer) are at least as important as the recipe, if not more important. Give 10 brewers exactly the same ingredients, and you will get 10 different beers. Or by another analogy, 2+5=7, but 3+4=7 as well. Pick the method that works best for you.

This recipe might not work for everyone, but it works well for me on my system.

poptotwoboys Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #18
BadMrFrosty
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have never tasted a PU in the USA so I don't know how different it is but I do know what a fresh PU tastes like as its available in every other pub here. Of course it is not just about the malt and hops, the water in Plzeň and the skill of the brewer also play a big part. Yes you can get to the same destination by taking different routes but I don't think this recipe gets us to the same destination as the real PU one.

However, this was not an attack on the beer made with your recipe as it was a rather good Czech Pilsner, its just not something I would call a Pilsner Urquell.

Primary: Beer, Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer

Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Of course it isn't as good as the real thing, but you'd be surprised with this beer. Much of the "odd" ingredients are to compensate for not doing a triple decoction.

I have had the beer at the brewery and in several bars in the Plzen area, so I have a pretty good idea what it tastes like - including the unfiltered version

Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4261 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Of course it isn't as good as the real thing, but you'd be surprised with this beer. Much of the "odd" ingredients are to compensate for not doing a triple decoction.

I have had the beer at the brewery and in several bars in the Plzen area, so I have a pretty good idea what it tastes like - including the unfiltered version
Isn't this the beer that won the PU competition, complete with a trip to the brewery? Was it considered a "clone", or just a great representative of a BoPils?

Quick Reply