All Grain Yeast:
WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast Yeast Starter:
100ml Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter:
none Batch Size (Gallons):
5 Original Gravity:
1.068 Final Gravity:
34 Boiling Time (Minutes):
4.2 Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
7-17 at 42 F Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
21 at 32 F Tasting Notes:
The five Noble hop varieties in this beer deliver a fresh and citrusy hop aroma which
The five Noble hop varieties in this beer deliver a fresh and citrusy hop aroma which is nicely balanced by the honeyed malt character from the traditional Bohemian malt.
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 9.18 gal
Boil Time: 173 min
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Bohemian Pilsner (1.9 SRM) Grain 91.67 %
1.00 lb Carapils (1.5 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.33 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.33 oz Saaz [3.10 %] (60 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.33 oz Hersbrucker [3.00 %] (60 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.33 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.33 oz Spalter [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.33 oz Spalter [3.20 %] (15 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.33 oz Saaz [3.10 %] (15 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.33 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.33 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.33 oz Hersbrucker [3.00 %] (15 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.33 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops
0.33 oz Hersbrucker [3.00 %] (0 min) Hops
0.33 oz Saaz [3.10 %] (0 min) Hops
0.33 oz Spalter [3.20 %] (0 min) Hops
0.33 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops
Add these hops to the secondary for 7 days with one of these
0.33 oz Hersbrucker [3.00 %] Hops
0.33 oz Spalter [3.20 %] Hops
0.33 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] Hops
0.33 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] Hops
0.33 oz Saaz [3.10 %] Hops
Est Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.60 %
Bitterness: 34.0 IBU
Est Color: 4.2 SRM
Mash Name: Decoction Mash, Single Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
Sparge Water: 6 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Mash Procedures: This Is how I think you should do the mash.
Protein Rest: Take 80% of your grains (9.6 lbs). and 10.25
quarts of water and steep at 122 F for 35 min. Bring the
rest of your grain and 2.5 quarts of water to a boil then
add it to your tun. Bring tempature to 153 F for 45 min.
Primary: 42 F for 1-3 weeks
Secondary: 32 F for 3 weeks
I recommend using the Krausening technique for bottling. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Krausening
So I spoke to a guy at Sam Adams this morning after he read my email asking for some info on this beer so that I could brew it myself throughout the year. Here's what he had to say about this brew:
1. The Noble Pils is 35 IBUs.
2. They krausen theirs as opposed to using carapils, and that's how they get the mouthfeel and head. He figured making an extra bit of wort and taking off about 1/6th of it and storing in fridge or freezer. Same for the yeast starter (1/6 in the fridge). This mixture (wort+yeast) will be added in the secondary once it's actively fermenting and will help clean up diacetyl. Now they don't use this technique to carbonate their beer, but it could be used to do so. In other words, I could lager and then add this actively fermenting yeast in before bottling (need to calculate how much). It would then carbonate without needing priming sugar or DME.
3. He suggested to put 1 oz. of each hop (5 nobles) in a cup, mix, and drop in the boil equally at 60, 15, and 0. Then dry hop with 1.5 to 2 oz. in the same way (all 5 nobles evenly split) in the secondary for about 7 days.
4. Use a docoction mash. Start with 80% of the grain and mash (ratio of 1.25 qts/lb) at 122F until conversion. Boil remaining 20% (also with ratio of 1.25 qts/lb) and add to mash tun once mash is finished to raise temp to 153F *quickly* (a point he emphasized). Mash at 153F until conversion.
5. They lager theirs for 3 weeks at 31F.
So I'll start with this and see how it goes. He did mention that he did not know the *exact* recipe, but that it would be pretty close. I still don't like the hop schedule, but I'm willing to try a few different versions. I mean, either way, the beer will be good.