Munich Helles Hulk Smash!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SaflagerS23
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
used two packs
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
pale yellow
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 60º
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 months at 40º
Tasting Notes
It\'s a light refreshing beer, crisp and lager-y with no overpowering hop nose.
To celebrate my inaugural brew in my new place, I decided to make a light pilsner single malt and single hop beer. I thought one named after my ranting real estate thread would be appropriate.

12 lbs Pilsner malt
Hallertauer, New Zealand 1.0 oz 60 minute boil
Hallertauer, New Zealand 0.5 oz 15 minute boil
Hallertauer, New Zealand 0.5 oz 5 minute boil

Mash with 3.75 gallons of 161º water, to make the mash temp 150º and hold for at least 30 minutes. I really should have mashed longer, as my FG was 1.014 and kinda high, I thought.

I do batch sparge, so I sparged twice with 3.3 gallons of water each sparge. I tend to run over on my runnings anyways, so I do a 120 boil, but 9 minutes will work just fine.

It's a light refreshing beer, crisp and lager-y with no overpowering hop nose. It's definitely going to be one I keep in rotation, especially for any BMC drinkers who may have sneaked into my house by accident. SWMBO doesn't like it, as she prefers darker and maltier beers and thinks this one's a wuss beer :D

Here's a pic. For reference, I have Trader Joe's Simple Times Pre-Prohibition lager on the right. Mine's on the left.

hulk smash.jpg

Of course it already exists. I didn't think it would be original but it's my recipe dammit and I can call it what I want! Now you're starting to get me angry. You wouldn't want to see me when I'm angry....

Back