American Light Lager budwieser clone(sorta)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wlp 820
Yeast Starter
cake from marzen
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3wks @ 50
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5wks @ 35
Tasting Notes
slightly malty but still closely balanced. reminds me of a bavarian pils or fest beer
a very easy drinking lager lightly malty with nice nose that was designed to drink throughout a summer game and still leave you able to walk out of the park:D
7# pale 2row
1# flaked corn
1# flaked rice

.5 oz cascade(6.8%)60min
.5 oz cascade(6.8%)30min

mash at 148 for 90-120min

the keg i had of this is now gone:mad:

but nows i need to brew another:rockin:

think i'll try it with a dry hop cascade:D

think i'll try it with a dry hop cascade:D

Now that would be worth tasting...Bud on Steroids!!

Or a BudIPA???

I did that with a batch BM's Centennial Blond; kicked up the Ibus and dry hopped a bit. It was awesome. All the crispness and lightness of a corned beer, with kick ass hopiness..

Enjoy!:mug:

Does it really take that long for primary and secondary fermentation? What is the shortest time I could get away with?

Don't forget to add Acetaldehyde

"Acetaldehyde is typically inappropriate in any style, though Budweiser has integrated it within their flavor profile with obvious success intentionally."

Recipes in the database should be tried and true. The user who posted it is pretty highly regarded. So, it's worth it.
wow, yuri thinks i'm highly regarded:D
Don't forget to add Acetaldehyde

"Acetaldehyde is typically inappropriate in any style, though Budweiser has integrated it within their flavor profile with obvious success intentionally."

that's what the corn is for isn't it?

actually I need to do this one again but i'm gonna use american lager yeast this time wlp 840

I am going to brew this but I think I will use 7# German Pills (opinions?) instead of the 2 row. How does that sound?

Anything you would change if you brewed this again?

How much rice hulls should I use to keep my mash from sticking with all that flake?

actually i haven't used hulls in this recipe yet. i've got a batch in bottles right now(cp-filled). i almost always get over 80% eff into the fermenters even with that flake in it.

i have a few pounds of corn that i'm gonna malt this yr and try it that way.

question....
Why would anyone want to brew a Bud clone? It's such a generic flavorless beer that you can get super cheap.

Bud is actually a very good beer for what it was intended for. Light and crisp, good on a hot day, now if it just didn't give me a headache after 3 of them.

this really isn't a current bud clone. more like what beer was before prohibition.

as a side note i took a case of this to a party a few weeks ago and came back with only four from a group of mostly budlite and bud drinkers.

This was a unanimous hit at our brewday. Too bad it was in short supply.

I respect Erik's brewing, too. ;)

sorry about the short supply on this brewpals, i really didn't expect it to go over that well competing with all the ipa's that usually show up to these things. guess i shoulda brought a 12 pack huh?

Does this beer require additional lagering time in the bottle? If so, how long and at what temperature?

Could this be done as an Ale ? I ask because i don't have temperature control yet and wouldn't be able to keep it at the cold levels required for a lager

Could this be done as an Ale ? I ask because i don't have temperature control yet and wouldn't be able to keep it at the cold levels required for a lager

Sure. Lots pf beginner "lager" kits just come with a clean ale yeast. Use something like US-o5, or cali ale yeast, or even better Pac Man, and keep the initial week of fermentation as cool with frozen water bottles as possible. You maybe even use a Kolsh yeast which would give it some of the softer character or a lager.

can the 1# of rice be substituted with something else?
my Homebrew shop doesn't stock adjuncts like that. I did manage to find some flaked Maize in a health store :)

If you want to prevent a stuck sparge, you can always boil your rice separately in a cooler. I've had bad luck with rice and my mashed tun but good luck in a separate cooler

Using flaked rice just takes the step of boiling this adjunct out of the equation. As for using an ale yeast I've never done it but like revvy said any of the clean yeasts should work. If you have a colder corner in your house this time of year it would be a good place to do this with a swamp cooler and ice bottles....my first lagers were done this way and turned out decently.

Lagering in the botlle was@ 3wks then into rhe fridge for the rest of their lifetime (not long usually)

Billy said:
Bud is actually a very good beer for what it was intended for. Light and crisp, good on a hot day, now if it just didn't give me a headache after 3 of them.

Billy. I think the headache comes from the rice. Because I cannot drink it without the headache either. I have made a light pilsner before and used rice and the headache came. So I don't use rice in anything and I don't have a problem.

I cooked regular white rice from walmart. cheaper than minute rice. I chopped it in my food chopper for 10 seconds cooked like rice package said, and added to my mash, I used us05 yeast. I dont want to wait 6 weeks for a lager. when the time comes I will lager, but seems too time consuming.
If I get a headache I will be pissed. lol

Back