Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Pilsner > All-Grain - Bohemian Pilsner (Silver Medalist)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #21
DreadedHill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Sounds good. Think I will follow Nathan's recipe to the word and leave the dry hopping for IPA's.

Sent from my zt180 using Home Brew Talk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #22
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Would like to know how decoction vs infusion turned out as well if anyone updates it when they are done! Thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #23
nppeders
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
Would like to know how decoction vs infusion turned out as well if anyone updates it when they are done! Thanks!
I wish I had better news but I totally messed up the decoction mash. I must have pulled too thick of a mash out decoction and denatured some enzymes because I had some off flavors. Also it was very hazy. Oh well.

The infusion version turned out fantastic though!

Nick Pederson aka dank brewer

If you want to check out every beer I've ever made and other stuff check out my Dank Brewing Blog

Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #24
enricocoron
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I am trying my first Bohemian Pilsener tomorrow night. Have a 1.8 liter starter of White Labs Pilsner on the stir plate for 48 hours....question is how hard is the decoction to accomplish in a cooler mash tun without a temp guage....I've done step infusions for Belgians and that's worked. If you use a protein rest can you leave out the dextrin? My original plan was all German Pilsener malt, 1.5 oz saaz at 60, 1 oz saaz at 30, 1 oz saaz at 15. I was going to do a protein rest and then sacharification at 150...pitch it at 47 and raise it one degree per day to 51 hold until almost done and then ramp to 60 for 24 hours before transferring to lagering vessel...now I'm not sure if I should add dextrin and do a decoction mash?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #25
nppeders
Recipes 

I've done 100% pils malt beers and the head retention was amazing. I wouldn't worry too much about it either way. Just don't do too long of a protein rest, more then 25 minutes and your head retention will go down.

it's not that hard doing a decoction with your set up, just make sure that your first decoctions you are boiling the absolute thickest portion of the mash (when you pull out the grains, dump most of the liquid back into the main mash).

Also, make sure you get Czech Saaz. It makes a huge difference in my experience.

Nick Pederson aka dank brewer

If you want to check out every beer I've ever made and other stuff check out my Dank Brewing Blog

Old 02-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricocoron View Post
I am trying my first Bohemian Pilsener tomorrow night. Have a 1.8 liter starter of White Labs Pilsner on the stir plate for 48 hours....question is how hard is the decoction to accomplish in a cooler mash tun without a temp guage....
Not super hard. I have a 2G pot. I scooped a bunch of mash from my rubbermaid mash tun, put it in in the 2G pot, boiled it and then dumped it back into the mash and stirred it up. I didn't hit my temp exactly, but it was close enough for me.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #27
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Brewed a 5gallon batch of this in July. Just had my first taste from the keg last night - WOW it is tasty. I don't brew many beers that require laggering due to fermentation chamber conflicts, but I'll be brewing this again. It's sad I couldn't get it on tap a few weeks ago as it is starting to feel like fall around these parts, but this beer is going to get sucked down quick, nonetheless.

Thank you for the recipe.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
YeastieBoys
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
scored 43.5

my grains, hops, and yeast came from AustinHomeBrew
Recipe started a while back based on the brewing classic styles

My water is 2:1 distilled to well water (I live in the country) which creates close to the pilsen profile.

11# german 2-row pilsner
about 12 ounces of dextrine malt (or whatever you like for head retention, cara-foam, cara-pils, etc.)

I did a double decoction:
infuse 4.41 gal at 157.2 to get first step of 148F for 60 minutes
with 30 minutes left, pull decoction 1, heat decoction 1 to 158F, let it rest for 10 minutes, then heat to a boil for remaining 15 minutes of Mash rest.
return decoction 1 slowly to main mash, until you get to 158F in main mash. Any remainder should be cooled to 158 then added in.
Immediately pull decoction 2 and bring it to boil during this 30 minute 158F mash rest.
return decoction 2, whole thing. You want 168F or higher ideally.

I batch sparged.

90 minute boil,
.75 saaz 5.8% @ 60min
1.5 saaz 5.8% @ 30min
1.0 saaz 5.8% @ 10min
1.0 saaz 5.8% @ 0min

chill, whirlpool, siphon to carboy, aerate with aquarium pump through hepa filter off and on until reached 30 minutes of pumping time (letting foam subside as necessary and counting time to a total). Pitch dry yeast directly into fermenter, fermenter at about 68F by this time, and in lager freezer set to 50F with 1 degree differential, so it quickly is taken to 50F.

after 2 weeks or so, ramp up 1 degree every 12 hours to 62F and finish out a week.

Rack to keg, chill to 32F, store for 1 month, then enjoy.

I used the BierMuncher Bottle Filler to fill bottles from keg to send to competition.
What was your starting.gravity? I'm guessing it was somewhere in yhe ballpark of 1.061. Isn't that a little high? I'm looking to do this recipe, but scaling back to 9 lbs of German pils. I don't want a beer that's 6.5% abv. I've got a ton of czech saaz.left and will repitch wl 830.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
YeastieBoys
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I used 9# German pils, 3/4# of carapils. Starting gravity was 1.052. Fermented for 10 days at 50 degrees. Ramped up to 66 degrees over 3 days. Diacytyl rest for 2 days. Racked to secondary. Gravity was 1.003.
Anyone else have a pils go this dry after this short of fermentation?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #30
Locus415
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a similar Bo pils today also based on Pope Jamil's recipe. I upped the challenge a bit by doing a short glucan rest, a protein rest, and a sacc rest. Reached each step with a thick decoction added back to the cooler mash tun. Was a little low on the main rest coming in at 150 instead of the planned 154. During the 90 min. boil the hot break was so clumpy it looked like bits of carpet padding floating around. Never seen a protein break that chunky before. Used Santiam for bittering and Saaz at 10 and KO. Calc'd at 40 IBUs. Pitched a slurry from a 1.8L starter of S-23. Wishing I had a temp controlled fridge but thankfully it is a stead 52 in the cellar this time of year.

Quick Reply