Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Pilsner > 2013 NHC Bronze Medal Winner: Classic American Pilsner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #31
HopRodGR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm intrigued at your use of Aromatic Malt. I was planning on layering in some Light Munich, but that's like a 7L malt vs 20L-ish for Aromatic. How apparent is it at 6%? Clearly it must work pretty well as your medal suggests!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I like aromatic malt. I use it to boost malty flavors. Munich would be fine. The flavor does not stand out, I don't want it to. I think flavors that stand out are a detraction in this style. I think balance is very important, more so than in many other styles.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #33
beernutz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I would like to get the OP's opinion on the value of mashing using various rests versus doing just a simple infusion and possibly a mashout. How much of a difference in the final product do you feel your approach gives you? Just an estimate like no difference, a little, a lot, massive, it's everything is what I am respectfully asking for. It is Friday afternoon, and I've had a couple of my own as I type this and I hope I don't sound too pushy with my request.

Is your mashing schedule dependent on the type of grains used?

Your recipe calls for:
protein rest 20 min at 122 F
sacch rest for 30 min. at 147 F
Dextrin rest for 15 min. at 160 F
Mash out at 168 F, no rest

Given your outstanding results reflected here and in the PU competition, clearly you are doing many things right with regards to brewing lagers. I currently mash in a picnic cooler where various rests at different temps are a bit harder to achieve, however, I'm in the process of building a brand new semi-Brutus brew structure and if adding a heatable mash tun is what I need to get the kind of results you are able to achieve, well so be it.

In keezer: 1. spiced hard cider 2. coffee oatmeal stout 3. vanilla cream ale 4. Bob's a pil[sner]
In process: Cellar Craft Pinot Grigio wine aging in keg/bottles; En Primeur Super Tuscan wine in secondary
Up next: Bob 's black (Schwarzbier) on 12/27

I love to C6H12O6 → 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2

Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #34
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutz View Post
I would like to get the OP's opinion on the value of mashing using various rests versus doing just a simple infusion and possibly a mashout. How much of a difference in the final product do you feel your approach gives you? Just an estimate like no difference, a little, a lot, massive, it's everything is what I am respectfully asking for. It is Friday afternoon, and I've had a couple of my own as I type this and I hope I don't sound too pushy with my request.

Is your mashing schedule dependent on the type of grains used?
Well obviously I think it makes a difference or i wouldn't do it That being said, The difference is not large, BUT I think it pushes it up a notch from being just a very good beer, to one that is fantastic.

I think the step mashes also help to improve the efficiency, although I couldn't really say what difference that makes in the end product.

I've recently switched to mostly pils as a base malt (as in no pale malt) so I always use these steps. I do not recommend a protein rest with pale malt. It never seemed to do for me what it does with pils malt. I also wonder about the protein rest when I have lots of vienna, or particularly munich malts. One of these day I'll grind them separate and wait to add the munich until after the p-rest (in a munich heavy recipe).

Quote:
Your recipe calls for:
I ALWAYS do these rests BUT depending on style, I vary the times at each temp (except p-rest). If I want more body, I shorten the time at 147 and increase the time at 160. I like the control on the body that it gives me. For a pils, I can create a highly fermentable wort at 147 F, but by having a rest at 160, just before conversion is complete, I can get some larger dextrins that help to keep the beer from being too thin. Conversely, for a rich beer, the 147 rest gives me some easily fermented sugars which keeps the body from being too heavy. These times work for me, and keep in mind the ramp times can vary form one persons rig to another so the rest times may need to be shorter or longer depending on how fast you can ramp
beernutz Likes This 
Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #35
Crazybob
Recipes 

I am thinking about trying this as my first lager, can you tell me what yeast you used and your ferment schedule? I was thinking 2-3 weeks around 50f then racking to 34-36f for 6-8 weeks. Is that appropriate?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Edit: Sorry I only saw the recipe from my phone and it didn't include the yeast and fermenting information.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #36
XPLSV
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Moved this into the secondary today after a bit longer than planned primary period. Has already cleared very nicely and think the taste is spot on the style!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #37
altimate_one
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Default Question for OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
I am looking to brew this for a Labor day party. I know, that's a long ways away, but I'm hoping to win some admiration from the friends, and figured 7 months in the keg/bottle will only help.

I have a mash question. Do I need to do these steps in a kettle so I can raise/hold the temps with my flame? We usually use a cooler mash tun and I can't fathom an easy way to do this process in that without adding more water. This seems similar to the method I planned on using for a Light Lager when we make that. Am I thinking correctly?

And congrats on the Medal, I can only imagine how big my head will swell if that ever happens for our efforts.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #38
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by altimate_one View Post
I am looking to brew this for a Labor day party. I know, that's a long ways away, but I'm hoping to win some admiration from the friends, and figured 7 months in the keg/bottle will only help.

I have a mash question. Do I need to do these steps in a kettle so I can raise/hold the temps with my flame? We usually use a cooler mash tun and I can't fathom an easy way to do this process in that without adding more water. This seems similar to the method I planned on using for a Light Lager when we make that. Am I thinking correctly?

And congrats on the Medal, I can only imagine how big my head will swell if that ever happens for our efforts.
I would wait to brew a lager for a Labor day party - if you can maintain fermentation temps in early Summer. If not, brew it now. While a good lager will keep for a while, like IPAs, they are best fresh. I target optimal drinking of a standard larger at 10 - 14 weeks - that is when it is the best (assuming everything went properly). they can still be good after that for a month or two, but they really are best fresh.
Warrior Likes This 
Old 01-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #39
Crazybob
Recipes 

Altimate, I am planning on doing a decoction mash (which will be my first attempt at) for this over the weekend to achieve the temperatures. I also use a cooler and am still working out how to do the sparge as I typically batch sparge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #40
altimate_one
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

This is what I had in mind, after watching some youtube. Maybe the group can critique my thoughts.

I planned on taking the initial water & grains up to the 122 F (in the cooler) and wait the 20 minutes, then I would drain 75% of the liquid, put it back in the kettle and raise the temp to achieve the 147 F and add it back to the cooler for the second rest. Repeating this process once more for the 160 F. I planned on draining that and doing a separate sparge for the last 168 F step.

If anyone wants to help improve on this step I am all ears.

Quick Reply