Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Lager > All-Grain - Simple as Helles (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default All-Grain - Simple as Helles (AG)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP830
Yeast Starter: YES
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 17
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 3.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 25 days 50F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 42 days 32F

Mash at 150F. Pitch and ferment at 50F. A diacetyl rest should not be necessary, but check it after 7 days to be sure.

Produces a really great light lager. I have only compared this to one commercial example (Weinstephaner Original) and I think it is good if not better. Let it lager long and cold and it will drop brillantly clear. I will post a picture next time I pour a pint.

This is about as simple of a lager you can make. I dare any BMC or craft beer lover to say this is not a great beer.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Updating with a picture.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
peterfuse

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

that looks really good im going to make a helles next so this post is interesting. i was thinking of aiming for your gravities, IBUs and volumes but using UK lager malt, munich and carapils. then your hop schedule and wyeast munich lager malt. sound ok?

did you bottle? if so was there enough yeast in suspension for carbonation or did you have to add some?

is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfuse
that looks really good im going to make a helles next so this post is interesting. i was thinking of aiming for your gravities, IBUs and volumes but using UK lager malt, munich and carapils. then your hop schedule and wyeast munich lager malt. sound ok?

did you bottle? if so was there enough yeast in suspension for carbonation or did you have to add some?

I have never used lager malt and don't know much about it. But, I think the pilsner malt flavor plays a huge role in this beer. You might get the same flavor from the lager malt, but I am not sure.

I think that yeast would work very well, make a big starter.

I kegged. You might have enough yeast depending on how long/cold you lager.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
peterfuse

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

well i believe this lager malt is a british attempt at continental pilsner malt its just more highly modified. ive used it before in a hefe and it worked well.

is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed this yesterday. Mashed at 151 and overshot the target gravity using this exact 5 gallon recipe, I ended up with 5 gallons of 1.06x wort that I diluted down to 5.5 gallons @ 1.061! I've never had efficiency that good before; I'm sure it'll be fine.

Made a 2L starter of WLP830 on a stirplate and cold crashed it for 24 hrs before pitching. Sitting at 65 F right now (8 hrs), will move to 53 F when it gets churning.

Last edited by greenbirds; 04-27-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tapped this a few days ago. I should have made a bigger starter; it took almost 6 weeks to hit terminal gravity in the primary, the last 6-8 gravity points at 65 F to hurry it along. Went from 1.061 to 1.011. Lagered for 7 weeks at 39 F, then 2 more at 34 F.

Not a whole lot going on in the aroma department, slightly malty, no hops or esters. The taste is some sweet malt up front, very light, balanced bitterness that it is a nice complement to the malt, and an extremely clean finish. Not terribly complex, but that's not what it meant to be. Very nice looking beer that forms a bright white head which dissipates to a thin, splotchy layer as it warms. I have BMC drinkers try it and say "I didn't know what good beer tasted like until I tried this," so I'd say it's winner.

Quick Reply