Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Lager > Multiple - Münchner Helles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
billf2112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks, looks good. A maltier Yuenglang would be acceptable. Cool.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 03:09 AM   #12
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Curious as to how this turned out. I have my Oktoberfest sitting in the keezer now, and the yeast is primed up for re-use! It was an 833 whitelabs yeast and it should do a helles good I think.

Well, what does everybody think? Anything to suggest or recommend?

Thanks

Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you try the 833 you'll want to mash super low like maybe 147 or 148... but why not if I had the yeast I'd try it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
Curious as to how this turned out. I have my Oktoberfest sitting in the keezer now, and the yeast is primed up for re-use! It was an 833 whitelabs yeast and it should do a helles good I think.

Well, what does everybody think? Anything to suggest or recommend?

Thanks
I use 833 for everything, including my last lager a helles and while I didnt use this recipe (looks good though), it turned out amazing. I do decoction mash though, and Im not sure why the OP recommend a 147/148º infusion (maybe he can chime in), Id keep it around 152º.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
bjohnson29
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Would love to brew this, but know I cannot keep my fermentation temps that low. What would it turn out like if the temps were in the upper 60s for the first few days then could drop to around 40 in the keezer. Im guessing 40 is going to be too low to start with...

Old 09-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
thevalkrye
Recipes 

Just to point out the obvious...the wheat isn't allowed in a traditional Helles as it has to conform to the Bavarian purity law. But here in north America we are not bound by such restrictions.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
Woodbury419
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevalkrye
Just to point out the obvious...the wheat isn't allowed in a traditional Helles as it has to conform to the Bavarian purity law. But here in north America we are not bound by such restrictions.
That law is not really a law anymore...you'll see a Hefeweizen made from Paulaner that will say "brewed under Germany purity law of 1516". I can't remember is münchen (Munich) started that law and several villages followed suit through the years. But yeah...adding wheat and more Munich grains in this recipe would make this a Weizenbock style. I do believe the Helles Bock is the newest to the Bock family after the art of crafting pale brews was eluded to the world. Although this recipe is a solid foundation of what this style is all about. Good job!

Old 10-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
thevalkrye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbury419 View Post
That law is not really a law anymore...
Well I guess they lied to us in German brewing school then.

They are not allowed wheat in lager beer and the top fermenting beer (like Hefeweizen) must contain at least 50% wheat. We were told it is the oldest purity law still in effect, whether in Germany or the world I don't know.

Last edited by thevalkrye; 10-22-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: to add some more stuff

Old 10-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
Woodbury419
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevalkrye

Well I guess they lied to us in German brewing school then.

They are not allowed wheat in lager beer and the top fermenting beer (like Hefeweizen) must contain at least 50% wheat. We were told it is the oldest purity law still in effect, whether in Germany or the world I don't know.
Interesting, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I'm stationed not far from Germany and talked to some people that are in the brewing industry. The way it was explained to me was it was a law but the those who live and brew in that area were proud of that law so they continued to brew by abiding that law. It was also explained to me that only a handful of breweries were allowed to brew with wheat and the rest weren't. Idk honestly..I do know I like all of the Bock styles and law or no law the land of Bavaria has truly contributed a lot to many style of beers!

Old 01-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #20
Rubes
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Is this the same style as Hacker Pschorr Munich Gold? That is one of my favourite beers and I'd love to be able to make something close to it.

Quick Reply