American Lager American Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White labs American Lager yeast WLP840
Yeast Starter
1 galon
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 days 52f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
24 days 44f
http://www.matweecha.net/beer/AM-pils.htm

American Pils
K in gallons = 15 Strike Temperature F 159 1' Plato=~.52% ABV
Mash Water: 8.25 Boil Time 75 10' Plato= ~5.2% ABV
Sparge Water : 6.75 Target Gravity 1.050
Malt Water Mash Actual Gravity 1.048
pounds of malt 26.5 40.00 8.28 Projected ABV 5.10%
ounces of malt 424 Plato 12
Grains Ounces Percentage Volume Yielded 11.5
Mash type Single Decotion

Total Grain in ounces Pilsener Malt(2-Row) 424.00 100.00%
424.00 100.00% 2.2 lbs = 1 plato
Gypsum 1.0 oz mash
Gypsum .5oz in sparge

Target IBU 30
Hops IBU's ounces Alpha Acids Addition Phase
Saaz 20 3.32 3.8 Kettle addition 60 minutes left
Saaz 5 0.92 3.8 Middle addtion 30 minutes left
German Hallertau 5 2.20 3.2 Late Addition 10 minutes left
German Hallertau 1.00 dry hop

Yeast
White labs American Lager yeast WLP840

Brew Phase Date
Brew Date 02/19/2007 52f
Secondary Fermenter 02/28/2007 44f 37f
Keg-5 gal 03/24/2007
Keg 5-gal 03/24/2007

I feel like such a hack!

I thought about corn and rice as adjuncts, but was scared that it might put the junk in adjunct. Perhaps next time around.

I had also considered using a combo of 2 and 6 row, but thought I'd avoid the hassle and just went with German pilsner malt. Prolly the only thing American about this lager is the yeast and the brewer. :)

If you haven't already, you should give the Jamil Show on Classic American Pils a listen to. Packed full of great info, including a detailed account of how to do a cereal mash for the corn - something persnickety enough that you would just love it!

:D

I plan to brew a CAP with 80% 6-row and 20% corn to be ready for the 4th of July. I didn't really realize that I have to brew that soon. I'm really curious how this will come out.

Kai

This beer is classic and simple. At this point the only thing I may consider changing would be switching up a combo of two and six row, or add some corn.

What's the decoction schedule look like on this? If you didn't want to do a decoction, would this be a beer that would do well with a multi-step infusion mash?

IIRC this one was a little on the high side.
I mashed in at 127F for protein rest. (15 minutes)
Pulled around 40% of the mash, and performed single decoction for 30 minutes.
Returned the decoction to the mash, and then mashed out at 170f after a total of 60 minutes.

When I brew my alt I do an upward infusion as well, but I typically shoot for around 140-144f with the first infusion, and then ramp it up to 152F with the second infusion. With the upward infusion you won't get the same flavor profile, since your not producing the Melanoidin you would in a decoction.

:off:
When I brew my alt I do an upward infusion as well, but I typically shoot for around 140-144f with the first infusion, and then ramp it up to 152F with the second infusion.

Still :off:

That's the basic plan for the EuroPils I want to brew this weekend; you think that would be appropriate for that style as well? I'd rather not futz with a decoction this time.

I think you could safely get away with an upward infusion. You wont's get the melanoidins. IMHO it will produce a more of a malty taste then a single infusion.

Latest posts

Back