Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Lager > All-Grain - 2011 1st Place HBT- Light lager- Augustiner Lagerbier Hell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #81
JayDubWill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Joe, thanks for the feed back and insight on the pale malt vs pilsner. I'm definitely giving that a shot for my next lagar. It would be asweome if I can cut down the 3 months lagering time to maybe just 2. changing subject, Thank you, it's been an honor to serve. Germany was tough...I lived 30 minutes from Aying, where Ayinger is brewed. Ok it wasn't tough...just blurry . I do remember Ayinger brewery having the biggest pork schnitzels you could find. I'm talking a plate covering size portion on top of a mound of frys. And the beer was pretty awesome too.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #82
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDubWill View Post
Joe, thanks for the feed back and insight on the pale malt vs pilsner. I'm definitely giving that a shot for my next lagar. It would be asweome if I can cut down the 3 months lagering time to maybe just 2. changing subject, Thank you, it's been an honor to serve. Germany was tough...I lived 30 minutes from Aying, where Ayinger is brewed. Ok it wasn't tough...just blurry . I do remember Ayinger brewery having the biggest pork schnitzels you could find. I'm talking a plate covering size portion on top of a mound of frys. And the beer was pretty awesome too.
That is the best!!! MMMM I can taste it now. I hate when you order a schnitzel and it is smaller than my damn hand!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #83
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sorry for the many times this has been asked in various iterations but I'm a lager newbie and want to make sure I got this right. Here is how I understand the fermentation, lagering and conditioning process:

Cold crash the starter and chill the wort to about 48F, decant spent wort from starter and pitch the slurry with much aeration and agitation. Raise temperature to 51F. (This part I have completed)

Ferment until about 75% complete, about 30 SG points in this case (about 9-14 days), then warm to 65ish. Leave in diacetyl rest for between two days and a week (haven't quite figured that out).

Then step down the temperature about 5 degrees F per day to 39F (about 5 days). Leave at lagering temperature for 2-3 weeks and maybe drop to 34F for the last part of that.

Bottle with the typical addition of sugar but no additional yeast. I'm not sure what temperature to leave this at but I am assuming 51F (Is that correct?). Bottle condition for at least three weeks.

Am I understanding this process or not? Any comments welcome.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #84
JayDubWill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Brewitt, you described pretty much exactly how I lager my beers. The only thing I do different is I don't cold crash and decant the yeast starter. I generally just swirl the whole 2 liters up and dump it into the wort with both at room temperature. I then stick it in my fermentation chamber (chest freezer with temp controller) already pre-set to 50F and just let it go. I also found I've reached with 10 points of FG in about 4 days. Which generally corresponds to when the kreusen falls, but that's NOT a good indicator. It's at this point that I raise the temp from 50F to 60F at about 2~4 degreees/day for the D-rest. As far as the actual lagering, the colder the better, but it also takes longer. I've got a German Helles that tastes good after 3 months of lagering at 42F, but I'll let it sit another month to mellow out even more. I once read somewhere that for each percentage point of alcohol expect to lager for a month. That seems to be a good rule of thumb in my experience, but I let my taste buds guide me for the most part.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #85
Joe Dragon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
Sorry for the many times this has been asked in various iterations but I'm a lager newbie and want to make sure I got this right. Here is how I understand the fermentation, lagering and conditioning process:

Cold crash the starter and chill the wort to about 48F, decant spent wort from starter and pitch the slurry with much aeration and agitation. Raise temperature to 51F. (This part I have completed)

Ferment until about 75% complete, about 30 SG points in this case (about 9-14 days), then warm to 65ish. Leave in diacetyl rest for between two days and a week (haven't quite figured that out).

Then step down the temperature about 5 degrees F per day to 39F (about 5 days). Leave at lagering temperature for 2-3 weeks and maybe drop to 34F for the last part of that.

Bottle with the typical addition of sugar but no additional yeast. I'm not sure what temperature to leave this at but I am assuming 51F (Is that correct?). Bottle condition for at least three weeks.

Am I understanding this process or not? Any comments welcome.
Brewitt,

Never hesitate to ask questions. I don't think anybody in this thread will have a problem with multiple questions. Lagers are a difficult beer to brew.

Let's see. I follow your procedure pretty closely. If I start my starter several days before brewing I will put it in my normal fridge the night before. Decant it right before pitching. Always pitch colder yeast into warmer wort and then let is warm a few degrees more.

Yeast- 35 degrees, wort- 45 (or so) degrees, pitch and let it rise to 48-51. Let the warming beer activate your yeast and the whole thing takes off nicely. This really keeps the esters at bay and allows the lager yeast to work.

As far as fermentation- We are pretty close but I still use a secondary (and I think you should for a lager). Ferment about a week at 50 degrees, as the fermentation slows, move the beer to a warmer place for your diacetyl rest for 3 to 7 days. If the beer is not clear enough for you feel free to slowly lower the temperature over several days to just above freezing. Don't shock it by quickly dropping the temperature. Rack it to secondary and lager at 38 degrees for as long as you'd like. At least 3 weeks.

Keg or bottle from there and enjoy. You are going to shock your friends with this beer if it's brewed correctly.

Please keep us updated and post pictures when possible. I have 10 gallons recently kegged and I promise to post pictures when we dive in!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #86
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will likely follow our OPs suggestions for starters, seems he did well with that approach. I'm hopping to shock myself and then my friends. I'm always surprised at just how well my homebrew turns out. Well, there's a mediocre one now and then but mostly I surprise myself. I'm hoping this one is no different. Can't say I have anything to compare it to since I've never tried the beer I'm hoping to clone.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #87
Joe Dragon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will likely follow our OPs suggestions for starters, seems he did well with that approach. I'm hopping to shock myself and then my friends. I'm always surprised at just how well my homebrew turns out. Well, there's a mediocre one now and then but mostly I surprise myself. I'm hoping this one is no different. Can't say I have anything to compare it to since I've never tried the beer I'm hoping to clone.
"I will likely follow our OPs suggestions for starters, seems he did well with that approach."

Ha, that's funny...... that OP guy can really brew.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #88
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No scoffing at success on my part.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #89
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Final question (yeah, sure): What temperature should I carb at in bottles? 50F, 65F? Thanks for any input. I'm trying to get all my temps and dates figured out since I'm going to be traveling a lot from now til mid July.

By the way, its 5 days and I've dropped from 1.058 (hit that a little high) to 1.023 (about 80% of the way to FG of about 1.014) so I'm starting to push the temp up to 60-65F over a few days. Seems pretty fast but fits with what JayDubWill says.

Gonna be interesting, nice color. Letting the hydrometer sample cool and settle for a taste.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #90
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Final question (yeah, sure): What temperature should I carb at in bottles? 50F, 65F? Thanks for any input. I'm trying to get all my temps and dates figured out since I'm going to be traveling a lot from now til mid July.
From my experience and others' comments, carb temp doesn't really matter as long as it's within the normal "room temperature" range. Regardless of style, I carb at 72F or so--my apartment ambient--and have never had unexpected or unpredictable results, this beer included.

P.S. Encinitas is awesome! My aunt and uncle live and own a small business there. Always have a great time visiting (and stopping by Pizza Port down in Solana Beach).

Quick Reply