Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Lager > All-Grain - 2011 1st Place HBT- Light lager- Augustiner Lagerbier Hell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #51
TacoBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I will say this: the Wyeast 2308 (equivalent of the wlp838) produces quite a prolific sulfur smell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #52
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbt View Post
Did anyone check mash ph that used a Munich profile? Does not seem that there is enough dark malt to set the mash with that high of a carbonate level. Or did you add acid? I would like to make this and my house water is real close to Munich profile.
I had the same question. I've never gone for a profile as naturally alkaline as Munich, and no matter how I mess with the numbers in Bru'n Water, I end up with a mash pH that's too high.

Would the best approach be to mimic the Munich ions and then adjust with lactic acid down to a suitable mash pH?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #53
Joe Dragon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
I had the same question. I've never gone for a profile as naturally alkaline as Munich, and no matter how I mess with the numbers in Bru'n Water, I end up with a mash pH that's too high.

Would the best approach be to mimic the Munich ions and then adjust with lactic acid down to a suitable mash pH?
I finally gave up. I now use all R.O. water and add 10 grams of gypsum and 6 grams of Calcium Chloride. That brings the PH to 5.58. The only thing out of range is magnesium and I'm not concerned.

NOTE: I'm no water expert but these numbers work for me in EZ Water.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #54
Jbt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dragon View Post
I finally gave up. I now use all R.O. water and add 10 grams of gypsum and 6 grams of Calcium Chloride. That brings the PH to 5.58. The only thing out of range is magnesium and I'm not concerned.

NOTE: I'm no water expert but these numbers work for me in EZ Water.
I usually use all RO. 10grams of gypsum I feel is alot for this beer. I think 10 grams Calcium Chloride 5 in mash and 5 in kettle would be better. In my opinon. The calcium chloride will enhance the maltyness of the brew.

Also If you are using RO there is no Mg in the water or the your additions unless your adding epsom salt

I am going to brew this this coming weekend I will be using RO and 5 and 5 of C.C.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #55
jb3218
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

how would you convert this to extract brewing?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #56
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just got this on tap and started carbing it up so I figured I would give it a taste, it couldn't be that good after only a week of lagering and little to no carbonation, right?

Besides being a little cloudy and undercarbed, this beer is amazing. Its exactly what I wanted, a lighter easy drinking beer with flavor.

I am going to give it another week to carb up and clear a bit more but I will post pictures then. Thanks for the great recipe!

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #57
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I started raising the temp to 68 the other day for a diacetyl rest, 9 days after pitching. The gravity was at 1.020 and I'm assuming the yeast will still be working on the last bit of attenuation to get me down to 1.012. Is this about the same fermentation schedule others have been seeing?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #58
Joe Dragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
I just got this on tap and started carbing it up so I figured I would give it a taste, it couldn't be that good after only a week of lagering and little to no carbonation, right?

Besides being a little cloudy and undercarbed, this beer is amazing. Its exactly what I wanted, a lighter easy drinking beer with flavor.

I am going to give it another week to carb up and clear a bit more but I will post pictures then. Thanks for the great recipe!
You are very welcome. I'm thrilled that you are enjoying the beer.

I guarantee that the last pint you pour will be the very best.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #59
Joe Dragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrew View Post
I started raising the temp to 68 the other day for a diacetyl rest, 9 days after pitching. The gravity was at 1.020 and I'm assuming the yeast will still be working on the last bit of attenuation to get me down to 1.012. Is this about the same fermentation schedule others have been seeing?
Taco,

Yes, the beer could have been pulled a few days earlier when the yeast were more active. They will still look for things to eat and raising the temperature will give them a boost. Check the gravity in a few days. It should have dropped. If not, you can gently stir up the yeast and keep the fermenter warm. They will finish but it may take a while.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #60
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahacreative View Post
Last night I drew the first pint off this batch...Worth the Wait! Excellent flavor, beautiful color - really nice lager. After tasting this, I put in my grain order for a full 10 gal batch.
Congrats on the first place.

Is your beer sweet or dry? The style guidelines state the beer is supposed to be very malty/dry, but not sweet. I have done a one of these and have a new batch in the fridge.

The first Helles Boch (HB) was really good and won a second place in a large competition. However, I determined it was too sweet for the style guidelines (and my hop IBU was too low). I thought it might be because I mashed at 154F like you. I did some research and determined that from 154F and up you start getting the sugars that don't ferment as well creating a sweetness.

My HB in the fridge was mashed at 142F and appears much drier. I know I'll get a very dry beer that is malty, but can't make any judgments until it is done.

What is your opinion on using 154F vs lower temps for mashing? Do you think your beer is to style guidelines? I ask because I might have made an error on my first attempt, like pulling it off of fermentation too soon etc. (yes I did the D-rest), and haven't made enough batches to have an experienced opinion.

I personally loved my Boch using the 154F for mashing, in fact, I prefer a sweeter beer if that's the cause. However, I'm now trying to make mine to style for a better placement in competitions.

Your thoughts?

Cheers

Recent Articles
Bourbon Style Eise Beer at 25-30% abv
How to Clean Beer Lines Quick, Cheap and Easy
Chimay Triple White Clone
Competition Winning Maibock/Helles
Post Pics of Your Brew Day

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/my...wery-3740.html

Quick Reply