Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Lager > All-Grain - 2011 1st Place HBT- Light lager- Augustiner Lagerbier Hell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #121
jlangfo5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My Inspired Lagerbier

Thanks for posting your recipe, and thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! It has been a great read for me since this is only my second ever lager!

This is what I am brewing today, inspired by the recipe on the first page.

Predicted Number:

Batch Size----------------13 Gallons
Efficiency-----------------66%
OG------------------------1.049
FG------------------------1.013
ABV-----------------------4.72%
IBU------------------------17.1
SRM-----------------------4.92

Grain Bill:

American 2-row------------18 lbs
Vienna---------------------6 lbs
Munich---------------------2 lbs

Mash-----------------------152 F for 90 Minutes

Hops:

Northern Brewer----------- 1 oz at 60 min
Hallertau------------------- .5 oz at 60 min
Hallertau------------------- .25 oz at 25 min
Hallertau------------------- .25 oz at 5 min

Yeast:

BrewFerm Lager------------- 2 12g packs

Fermentation Schedule:

Dec 22-Jan 5--------------Primary in 20 gallon tub at 54F

Jan 5---------------------Rack beer into 2, 6 gallon carboys

Jan 5-12-----------------D Rest if Needed

Jan 12-Feb 16------------Lager at 40F

I am very excited to try this beer out, it should be a lot of fun, and I hope to keep every one up to date on it!

Any thoughts on what I posted folks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #122
Joe Dragon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 208

It's my pleasure J. Langfo,

Your recipe is very close. A small amount of Melanoiden malt would be appropriate or you could perform a small semi-decoction mash. Basically remove a gallon of grist and wort or even just the liquid, boil it for 15 minutes and add it back to the mash.

Other than that it looks great! Please keep us updated and post pictures if you are so inclined.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangfo5 View Post
Thanks for posting your recipe, and thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! It has been a great read for me since this is only my second ever lager!

This is what I am brewing today, inspired by the recipe on the first page.

Predicted Number:

Batch Size----------------13 Gallons
Efficiency-----------------66%
OG------------------------1.049
FG------------------------1.013
ABV-----------------------4.72%
IBU------------------------17.1
SRM-----------------------4.92

Grain Bill:

American 2-row------------18 lbs
Vienna---------------------6 lbs
Munich---------------------2 lbs

Mash-----------------------152 F for 90 Minutes

Hops:

Northern Brewer----------- 1 oz at 60 min
Hallertau------------------- .5 oz at 60 min
Hallertau------------------- .25 oz at 25 min
Hallertau------------------- .25 oz at 5 min

Yeast:

BrewFerm Lager------------- 2 12g packs

Fermentation Schedule:

Dec 22-Jan 5--------------Primary in 20 gallon tub at 54F

Jan 5---------------------Rack beer into 2, 6 gallon carboys

Jan 5-12-----------------D Rest if Needed

Jan 12-Feb 16------------Lager at 40F

I am very excited to try this beer out, it should be a lot of fun, and I hope to keep every one up to date on it!

Any thoughts on what I posted folks?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #123
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sadly, my lhbs did not have any melanodian malt, and I didn't do a decotion mash. But, I did end up with a mash efficiency of 76% up from 66% last week!

So, I ended up with 53 liters of worth with a og of 1.052 that I am letting primary in a 20 gallon vat inside my chest freezer at 54f.
(Apt stove set up)

When, I come back from vacation, I want to rack into 2, 6 gallon carboys so I end up with an honest 12 gallons of beer at bottling time.

Its a bit darker than what I wanted, but it should clear out I hope. I will post a pic of the hydrometer sample asap.

forumrunner_20131223_155423.jpg   forumrunner_20131223_155441.jpg  

Old 01-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #124
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

K, so I just got back from vacation and came back to see a mostly fallen krausen. I took a hydrometer reading and it is at 1.010.

Naturally, I decided to take a taste, and I don't taste any fruity esters, but there is something there that is blocking out the malt flavor, diacytle mayhaps. So I bumped the temp up to 65, and will let rack to secondary tommorow and let it hold at that temp for a few days until I start dropping the temp down gradually to 33.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #125
Joe Dragon
Recipes 

Could you describe the flavor further? Was it slightly buttery, oily or slick on the tongue? If so, it's probably diacetyl. You may have to rouse those yeast a little to get them to eat that diacetyl.

You were not available this time but D-rest should be performed earlier on in the fermentation. Meh, I'd sanitize a spoon, swirl the yeast, move it to a warmer area (the pros only go to about 59 degrees but we aint pros) and let it sit for a few days.

If you get some airlock activity it could be a good sign. Denny Conn doesn't perform a D-rest unless he tastes diacetyl. You'll be fine.

Quote:
K, so I just got back from vacation and came back to see a mostly fallen krausen. I took a hydrometer reading and it is at 1.010.

Naturally, I decided to take a taste, and I don't taste any fruity esters, but there is something there that is blocking out the malt flavor, diacytle mayhaps. So I bumped the temp up to 65, and will let rack to secondary tommorow and let it hold at that temp for a few days until I start dropping the temp down gradually to 33.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #126
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mmm, buttery taste no, but slick feel I could agree! I'm not exactly sure if I should stir the beer because its actually in a 20 gallon vat and not an airlocked carboy, i was going to transfer it today.

I was thinking, I could rack the beer to carboy, and in the bottom of the carboys I could add like half a cup of sugar that I would rack on top off to give the beer some food while it tried to clean up.

My brother suggested letting it sit for a week at 65, then tasting it to see if its delectable anymore and then possibly adding sugar and waiting longer.

When I looked at the beer yesterday, I could still see bubbles rising from the beer, but I assumed it was degassing since the gravity was at 1.010 and I had mashed at 152

Ideas?

Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #127
Joe Dragon
Recipes 

I'd follow your brother's advice. Take your time, warm it up and see if the yeast will work on that off-flavor. Racking it probably won't help at this point.

Quote:
Mmm, buttery taste no, but slick feel I could agree! I'm not exactly sure if I should stir the beer because its actually in a 20 gallon vat and not an airlocked carboy, i was going to transfer it today.

I was thinking, I could rack the beer to carboy, and in the bottom of the carboys I could add like half a cup of sugar that I would rack on top off to give the beer some food while it tried to clean up.

My brother suggested letting it sit for a week at 65, then tasting it to see if its delectable anymore and then possibly adding sugar and waiting longer.

When I looked at the beer yesterday, I could still see bubbles rising from the beer, but I assumed it was degassing since the gravity was at 1.010 and I had mashed at 152

Ideas?

Old 01-06-2014, 04:36 AM   #128
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, we racked the beer into secondary since activity seemed to be very slow if non-existent, we racked it mainly because we didn't want the beer hanging out in the 20 gallon vat if it wasn't chugging along quickly anymore.

However, we will give it about a week to finish a D-rest at 65F to see if it cleans up any, failing that, we will think about pitching some sugar to give the yeast some food to snack on so it will clean up after itself.

It was hard to tell if the beer was just young, or if it was Diactyle that I was tasting, it wasn't buttery by my taste, but as mentioned before, oily might not have been far off the mark, it just seemed like there was something perceivable that was blocking the malt flavor from coming through, and I wasn't sure if it was just because the beer was still green as grass.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #129
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Alrighty, so yesterday I tried a sample of the beer from one of the carboys after the "D-Rest", it seems to taste cleaner now, the individual flavors come across the tongue a little bit more distinctly is the best way I would describe it. If there is any oiliness to it, it is very light and probably will not show through once it gets some bubbles behind it.

Something that is bothering me is apparently the yeast produced some light banana and melon flavors during fermentation, I hope that they go away after laggering for 8 weeks.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #130
kitemanks
Recipes 

I would let it rest longer. The warmer the beer the more active the yeast. Allow the yeast more time to clean up the beer. before putting it back to hibernation.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Quick Reply