Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Lager > All-Grain - 2011 1st Place HBT- Light lager- Augustiner Lagerbier Hell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #101
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
Just brewed a variant on this since my first run at it was so good. Using US-05 and the Zythos hops blend. Can't wait to get it bottled next week -- it's getting hot out.
Just realized I posted this on the wrong thread. Didn't brew a Helles lager with Zythos!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #102
Joe Dragon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkev52 View Post
Can you share the Landshark recipe please?
I can share my Landshark recipe. I'll PM it to you Kev.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #103
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts

Just bottled 5 gallons of this today. Only changes were that I boosted the base malt for a final ABV of 5.5% and I dry-hopped with an ounce of Saaz and and ounce of Citra pellets for 5 days at 65F. I tasted the final gravity sample of 1.018 (final ABV 5.3%). The aroma was noticeably fruity and spicy consistent with the hop profile and maltiness. The flavor was surprisingly fruity, bright and refreshing with just a slight sweetness from the firm malt backbone. I didn't expect this from a lager (my first, by the way). I believe I am going to like this beer a lot and will regret not making 10 gallons. Guess I better be doing another batch soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #104
Dhinds10583
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Made this today. This is my first lager. Everything went well hit a 1.057 for my OG. My wife loved the taste of the wort. It looks real promising. Biggest problem I had was getting my pitch temp down. The ground water temp is so high right now. I need to break out my old wort chiller and use it to prechill my Therminator next time. I'll report back in a month or so after it's kegged with some results.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #105
justkev52
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkev52 View Post
I'll be brewing 10 gallons of this on Sunday! Woo-Hoo!!
Ramping up for D-Rest now. Will start lagering on Sunday 8-11-13.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #106
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OK. So I only waited two weeks in the bottle instead of three as I had promised myself. That said, I think three was a record. But this was my first lager. Turned out just as i suspected from the final gravity sample. Light refreshing but with a solid malt backbone. Came out beautifully and, for a change, I got the carbonation right. Good fizz and beautiful white head. Happy, happy!
Pics to follow:

And many thanks to the OP for a beautiful recipe and the advice.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #107
Joe Dragon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
OK. So I only waited two weeks in the bottle instead of three as I had promised myself. That said, I think three was a record. But this was my first lager. Turned out just as i suspected from the final gravity sample. Light refreshing but with a solid malt backbone. Came out beautifully and, for a change, I got the carbonation right. Good fizz and beautiful white head. Happy, happy!
Pics to follow:

And many thanks to the OP for a beautiful recipe and the advice.
Brewitt,

You are very welcome and that's just outstanding. I'm thrilled that you were able to brew this beer, crack one open and enjoy it.
You should also be very proud of yourself as this is a very difficult beer in a complex style. GREAT JOB!
I have 10 gallons slowly clearing in a couple kegs. When they are ready I'll snap off a picture of a liter and post it here.
I can't wait to see your Munich Helles photo. We will "virtually" toast a fine German Lager.

PROST!!!!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #108
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dragon View Post
Brewitt,

You are very welcome and that's just outstanding. I'm thrilled that you were able to brew this beer, crack one open and enjoy it.
You should also be very proud of yourself as this is a very difficult beer in a complex style. GREAT JOB!
I have 10 gallons slowly clearing in a couple kegs. When they are ready I'll snap off a picture of a liter and post it here.
I can't wait to see your Munich Helles photo. We will "virtually" toast a fine German Lager.

PROST!!!!
Thanks! Here are two photos of my brew. It is still pretty cloudy so I am cold crashing a bunch of the bottles now. However, it still tastes and looks great. The head is absolutely astounding, like whipped cream with "soft peaks" when you stick in your finger and pull it out. I think the lacing and stability are pretty clear from the second shot. One happy homebrewer!
augustiner-lagerbier-1.jpg   augustiner-lagerbier-2.jpg  

Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #109
justkev52
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Thank you very much for the congrats.

This is the system I have been using lately. It's from Northern Brewer's site.

Gelatin is an excellent clarifier for homebrewers. It's cheap, easy to get, removes tannins and chill haze... with no ill effects.

There's been some debate over how to use it. I talked to a VERY experienced pastry chef (my Grandma-in-law) and she said I've been doing it wrong. Here's what she said (for using granulated gelatin, not sheets);

Use a glass jar, and fill it with a cup or cup-and-a-half of tap water. Not hot or warm or cold.... just cool. About 70-80 degrees. Put 1-3 teaspoons of gelatin in there and let it sit for 20 minutes. Swirl it up good (it will be cloudy) and pop it into the microwave. Set it for about a minute, but you need to watch it and take it out as soon as it's clear. The glass will be warm.

She said if you try to dissolve it in hot water, it clumps up, and cold water won't soften it up like you want. Never boil it (unless that is in the recipe).

Well, there ya have it. I've tried it twice now and it works perfectly.
I used this method on an Irish Red that sat for 2.5 months and it cleared up in about a week or so. Thanks for the tips!
Cheers

Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #110
JayDubWill
Find me on Untapped: Jay Will
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Hey Jay-DW,

I used to brew a lot of beers with mostly Pilsner malt but I never did care for the intense graininess I experienced. One day I was brewing a Standard American Lager but only had 4 pounds of Pilsner. I used that grain and finished the bill with 2-row.

That SAL won Best of Show out of 94 beers. I haven't looked back and have not brewed a lager with mostly Pilsner since. Several pounds of Pils gives you a bit of the classic Pils flavor and aroma without the graininess.

No reason for the 90 minute boil other than that's just how I roll. 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil. One reason may be that I like to add my hops after the hot break has been established. That means at least a 75 minute boil so I just go 90. No real need.

Love your "favorite" beer selection.

I'm not being cliche or silly when I say- than you for serving our country. My dad served in the Korean War from '50 to '54. I appreciate your efforts.
I just wanted to follow up to this since I did actually brew this and am enjoying it right now. This is my 4th Helles i've brewed and every one of them needed to be lagered for 3 months before I found them quaffable and my Bavarian wife gave them the thumbs up. On this attempt I found it very drinkable but hazy after 1 month of lagering (first pic). I posted in another post (in this thread) what my lager method is if anyone is interested. This recipe wasn't intensely grainy as my prior lagers with, all Pilsner malt, were at this point but still not Helles quality in my opinion, so I let it sit another month and tasted it again. It was better, a little clearer and the head had developed nicely but it still needed longer. The beer is now at the three month mark for lagering at about 36F and is simply delicious. It's cleared up nicely with a thick head that lasts good long while and leaves nice lacing on the glass. It's a shade or two darker than what I would have liked, but I think still in the rang of where it should be. No detectable hop aroma but you do get a sweet malt aroma and a hint of alcohol. I consider it spot on for the style. The taste is malty up front quickly followed by a pleasing bitterness that lingers. I can't really pick out the munich malt. If I could change one thing I might knock the IBU's down from the estimated 25 to 20.

Quick Reply