Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Yet another Brezen recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #11
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't done a side-by-side but the lye gives the prezels a nicer sheen and they possibly taste more authentic as well. I got my lye from an on-line store.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Thanks TONS for maintaining the braukaiser page! I should donate one of these days.

I made the Brezels recipe. They're baking as I type! Can't wait to try them, maybe even with a homebrew! Also brewed your Helles recipe last weekend with a friend.
Do you know how long you can make ahead the brezels before baking? Can you make them and then freeze them (including all steps - lye bath, salt, slit) for later baking? I wish I had thought of this BEFORE I started typing and I couldve pulled one out. I suppose you could freeze after baking and reheat later. Its not a quickie recipe when lye is involved, but it is otherwise a pretty fast thing to make, even maybe on a weeknight.
Thanks again! I'll post a pic when they're done.

TD

Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Pics

TD

image-2847780993.jpg   image-279499379.jpg   image-1907838669.jpg  

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Thanks TONS for maintaining the braukaiser page! I should donate one of these days.

I made the Brezels recipe. They're baking as I type! Can't wait to try them, maybe even with a homebrew! Also brewed your Helles recipe last weekend with a friend.
Do you know how long you can make ahead the brezels before baking? Can you make them and then freeze them (including all steps - lye bath, salt, slit) for later baking? I wish I had thought of this BEFORE I started typing and I couldve pulled one out. I suppose you could freeze after baking and reheat later. Its not a quickie recipe when lye is involved, but it is otherwise a pretty fast thing to make, even maybe on a weeknight.
Thanks again! I'll post a pic when they're done.

TD
I freeze mine when I make Pretzels with no problem. Throw them in a toaster oven. Comes out great..

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
I freeze mine when I make Pretzels with no problem. Throw them in a toaster oven. Comes out great..
Freeze before or after baking?

TD

Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Quote:
Freeze before or after baking?

TD
After baking. let them cool first. I put them in a big zip lock bag, right in the freezer. Take them out as needed.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #17
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
After baking. let them cool first. I put them in a big zip lock bag, right in the freezer. Take them out as needed.
Good to know. I only got 10 pretzels out of the recipe. Was thinking for the time, might be nice to get more. Have you tried doubling the recipe?

Also, the 20-30 minute rest time after the pretzel has been formed. I was wondering if the same is used if you are making other shapes, such as rolls or something else. I would think yes, and I would also think that even for the pretzels, if you wanted a fuller less dense pretzel to increase the rise time.

About the lye. how dangerous really is the water bath 3-4% lye? I mean heck, we are going to be eating the stuff huh? are goggles necessary once the solution has been made and all the concentrated lye has been put away? I still wear them until the bath is disposed of.

The lye also makes the pretzels very sticky or tacky. I was thinking about baking on a baking stone or wood fired oven, but the stickiness of the dough I think would prevent doing so. I used the parchment paper. I suppose that you could cut individual squares per pretzel to prevent the sticking, but I don't know the burning point of parchment so I was reluctant to put directly on the baking stones.

just curious.

Thanks!

TD

Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #18
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Quote:
Good to know. I only got 10 pretzels out of the recipe. Was thinking for the time, might be nice to get more. Have you tried doubling the recipe?

Also, the 20-30 minute rest time after the pretzel has been formed. I was wondering if the same is used if you are making other shapes, such as rolls or something else. I would think yes, and I would also think that even for the pretzels, if you wanted a fuller less dense pretzel to increase the rise time.

About the lye. how dangerous really is the water bath 3-4% lye? I mean heck, we are going to be eating the stuff huh? are goggles necessary once the solution has been made and all the concentrated lye has been put away? I still wear them until the bath is disposed of.

The lye also makes the pretzels very sticky or tacky. I was thinking about baking on a baking stone or wood fired oven, but the stickiness of the dough I think would prevent doing so. I used the parchment paper. I suppose that you could cut individual squares per pretzel to prevent the sticking, but I don't know the burning point of parchment so I was reluctant to put directly on the baking stones.

just curious.

Thanks!

TD
I haven't done Kai's recipe. There's another one here I have used. You should have no problem doubling the recipe, I done it with no problem. I have never used lye, I use the baking soda method. People say it's not as good as lye, but I wouldn't know. Be careful with lye. It's no joke. Also, I don't use parchment paper, I spray with Pam.

Quick Reply