Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Yeast culture for Pizza Dough help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Cross-industry terminology can be a pain.

Lots of luck on the plan. It's tough to do a brewery and a restaurant at the same time. The Tornado in SF has the solution: a great pub in between a pizzeria and a sausage grill.

jpc - I love sourdough, but not in a baguette. Sourdough bread shouldn't be crunchy.
It sure is a process to figure out. The reason I am going with pizza is that I hate just about every brewpub I have been to. The beer is usually good but almost every one has ****ty food. I have a plan for a simple menu. Two pages. very basic. Pizza and Beer. Still hard work but I think it will take off.

My biggest problem in all this, is getting the dough right. Baking anything at high altitude is pain. I am originally from back east. I love new york pizza and I have yet to find anything close here in colorado. It is possible to make good pizza up here just not great pizza.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Quite a contrast to the Portland metroburb, just about all of the brewpubs have good food. Partially because of the weird alcohol laws we have and partially because great beer is expected, so it takes good food to stand out. The brewpubs that have failed in the time I've been here tended to have good food and so-so beer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
Brewmoor

Recipes 

It seems like the pubs I have been to around here buy all their food from the sysco truck and dunk it in the fryer. At least the beer is good.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
smashbeat
Recipes 

I'm a new homebrewer. I just used my first ale yeast cake to make pizza.
It was amazing. I'm from Italy (I relocated to the US less than 2 years ago) and the dough tasted like the one we use there. In fact the yeast we use for making pizza is called "lievito di birra" (beer yeast). It smelled a little bit too much of alchool before to bake, but at the end it was good :-)

Old 01-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

smashbeat-

how much of the yeast cake did you use?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #16
smashbeat
Recipes 

I used about 180 ml of it, 1/2 lb of flour, some sugar, salt, table spoon of extra virgin olive oil and water as needed. I didn't have lot of time, so I let it sit for 1,5 hrs, then backed slowly (175f) for 30 mins, so part of the raise was made by the heat.
I will try with a little bit less of yeast next time: it was tasting a little bitter

Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #17
Brewmoor

Recipes 

I made a pizza last week using beer yeast. I ended up washing the yeast from my last batch of Beer. When I was finished putting what I wanted in jars I siphoned out about a cup uf slurry into some flour.

I let it sit out for about a week. Each day adding a bit more flour and water and let it ferment. Mixing it real well twice a day. Basically a sour dough starter.

Then I took half of the starter and put it in a bowl and added flour, water, salt and a bit of oil. then I added a 1/2 cup of flour and some water back into the starter. Mixed it up real well and put it back in the fridge for next time.

The dough came out great. The taste was amazing.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
JonGoku
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
I made a pizza last week using beer yeast. I ended up washing the yeast from my last batch of Beer. When I was finished putting what I wanted in jars I siphoned out about a cup uf slurry into some flour.

I let it sit out for about a week. Each day adding a bit more flour and water and let it ferment. Mixing it real well twice a day. Basically a sour dough starter.

Then I took half of the starter and put it in a bowl and added flour, water, salt and a bit of oil. then I added a 1/2 cup of flour and some water back into the starter. Mixed it up real well and put it back in the fridge for next time.

The dough came out great. The taste was amazing.
Congratz on some good tasting dough.

How was your rise/crumb? Did it come close to what you were looking for at 7,000ft? What temps/type of oven set up are you cooking at/in? Any pictures?

I've been trying to improve my pizza recently and have been debating about making a sourdough starter very much along the lines you have already taken. I am though still debating about trying to harvest wild yeast from just crushed grains or just use yeast from the primary fermenter like you did. Very interested to learn more about your results. If you also started a post over at pizzamaking.com please link it here too for cross reference.

Cheers!

Jon

Quick Reply