Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Where did Creamed Chipped Beef come from?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #21
MikeFlynn74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

WHY ST. PATRICK'S DAY IS CELEBRATED

The real reason the Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day is because this is when St. Patrick drove the Norwegians out of Ireland.

About 800 AD, many Norwegians began to arrive in Ireland to escape the bitterness of the Norwegian winter. Ireland was having a famine at the time, and food was scarce. The Norwegians were eating almost all the fish caught in the area, leaving the Irish with nothing to eat but potatoes.

St. Patrick, taking matters into his own hands, as most Irishmen do, decided the Norwegians had to go. Secretly, he organized the Irish IRATRION (Irish Republican Army to Rid Ireland of Norwegians). Irish members of IRATRION passed a law in Ireland that prohibited merchants from selling ice boxes or ice to the Norwegians, in hopes that their fish would spoil. This would force the Norwegians to flee to a colder climate where their fish would keep.

Well, the fish spoiled, all right, but the Norwegians, as every one knows today, thrive on spoiled fish. So, faced with failure, the desperate Irishmen sneaked into the Norwegian fish storage caves in the dead of night and sprinkled the rotten fish with lye, hoping to poison the Norwegian invaders.

But, as everyone knows, the Norwegians thought this only added to the flavor of the fish, and they liked it so much they decided to call it "lutefisk", which is Norwegian for "luscious fish".

Matters became even worse for the Irishmen when the Norwegians started taking over the Irish potato crop and making something called "lefse".

Poor St. Patrick was at his wit's end, and finally on March 17th, he blew his top and told all the Norwegians to "GO TO HELL".

So they all got in their boats and emigrated to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakotas ---- the only other paradise on earth where smelly fish, old potatoes and plenty of cold weather can be found in abundance.

The End.

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

OK, if a mod wants to move the thread, I don't mind.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
OK, if a mod wants to move the thread, I don't mind.
Or you could do this:

If creamed chipped beef were a beer, what grains would be in it?

And presto, now we're talking beer ingredients as they relate to SOS.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #24
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some tips for making good SOS:

(I never had SOS at home while growing up. My dad was in the army and would have killed my mom if she ever tried to put that on our table (other no-no's were canned fruit cocktail, or any other diced fuits or vegetables).

Anyway, I was surprised when I got a little older to find that SOS really wasn't all that bad if cooked right).

1. Cook your bechamel sauce very slowly, but keep it on the burner for at least an hour with a bay leaf in it, and a decent amount of black pepper. (A pinch of nutmet is also good in bechamel-- not too much, though. You don't want to actually taste it in there).

2. Don't add the dried beef until it is almost time to serve it. Just get it in there long enough to be heated through.

3. Serve it over nice big Idaho bakers instead of toast. Pick out some really nice potatoes and bake them in a hot oven (at least 400 F) for a good hour.

Excellent comfort food.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #25
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1519 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 957

I had an Ex that would eat SOS until he almost vomited. He had his mother cook it for him every other Friday.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #26
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Mmmmmmmm - SOS. I haven't had that since I left home moons ago. Never liked the hamburger version though. This was something my dad actually liked (WWII vet) but spam was a forbidden entity in the house as it should be. My wife actually likes friggen spam on occasion.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:06 AM   #27
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

My dad was in the Army and he LIKED the stuff! Of course, he was only in 91 days and spend most of that in traction. I don't think my mother ever made it after he died.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-11-2008, 01:51 AM   #28
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I make SOS about once a month, usually because it's quick and easy to grab 500gm hamburger out of the freezer and 20 minutes later you have SOS. SWMBO isn't very fond of it, but she does eat it, and I think she is starting to like it more and more. I am not a big eater (can't finish a proper 3 course meal), but I gorge myself on this stuff!

Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #29
stormtracker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBrew
Mmmmmmmm - SOS. I haven't had that since I left home moons ago. Never liked the hamburger version though. This was something my dad actually liked (WWII vet) but spam was a forbidden entity in the house as it should be. My wife actually likes friggen spam on occasion.

Hey your Avatar is reminiscent of the old Mullets Galore logo...

Oh and yes I love SOS!!!

VIVA LA SOS!!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #30
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I am now the proud owner of;

It was in my mom's cupbard...unfortunately it's a couple years old...but there's no expiry date...and the dimple on the lid is still pushed in....Should I turn it into SOS...or what?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply