Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Where did Creamed Chipped Beef come from?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
What's wrong with lutefisk?
<-----------Swedish
I was looking for some lutefisk jokes online, and I got to a Norwgian humor site...and for the first time since I installed firefox my browser crashed (firefox never crashes.) Damn that lutefisk is hardcore...remind me NEVER to consider insulting cured cod ever again

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #12
stormtracker
Recipes 

Hell I have some in the freezer right now! Stoufer's makes it. I like it on 3 pieces of toast. I grew up on dat $hit.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My mom used to make SOS when I was a kid...my Uncle Sam had it for breakfast almost everyday (hamburger-style though), but now that I'm married my farmgirl wife I've switched over to bisquits and (sausage) gravy...

Old 03-10-2008, 04:14 AM   #14
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

WTF!
This is the beer section guys, BEER Recipes/Ingredients not FOOD Recipe/Ingredients.
I don't mind, in fact I was laughing because I was really wondering how this was going to relate to beer. Turns out it doesn't , but I have to wonder why here? And why must I be the voice of reason?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Using the New Posts button, I never notice the location of a particular thread...I figured it was in drunken rablings myself...

But I did relate it to beer http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=591951&postcount=4

But hey...if jones can make turkey dinner soda...maybe the OP is looking for the recipe for an SOS flavored beer.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #16
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Using the New Posts button, I never notice the location of a particular thread...I figured it was in drunken rablings myself...

But I did relate it to beer http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=591951&postcount=4

But hey...if jones can make turkey dinner soda...maybe the OP is looking for the recipe for an SOS flavored beer.....
...same here...never look at the section...think chunky brew!!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
SOS. Nasty, slimy stuff. I think it is the German equivalent of lutfisk (lutefisk).
Last I knew Lutefisk was Norwegian, not German. Horrible stuff anywys.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah I concur with the idea of it arising out of necessity. Basterma* is probably the origin of the dried beef part, and at some point in time I imagine someone thought to put it in with a Bechamel. It is a great form of beef to have for long journeys and places/times lacking refrigeration.

I use Bechamel based sauces for topping thick slices of toast, usually with Morels in the spring, Chanterelles or Black Trumpets in the summer, Porcini, Chicken of the woods, Hen of the woods, etc in the fall. Other times it is used with fresh pork sausage on top of home made biscuits.

*or one of the similar European dried beef products such as Braseola.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Last edited by zoebisch01; 03-10-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #19
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
Yeah I concur with the idea of it arising out of necessity. Basterma is probably the origin of the dried beef part, and at some point in time I imagine someone thought to put it in with a Bechamel. It is a great form of beef to have for long journeys and places/times lacking refrigeration.

I use Bechamel based sauces for topping thick slices of toast, usually with Morels in the spring, Chanterelles or Black Trumpets in the summer, Porcini, Chicken of the woods, Hen of the woods, etc in the fall. Other times it is used with fresh pork sausage on top of home made biscuits.
I kept coming up with Basterma as well but I kept getting recipes (which sound great btw) but liitle info on the history of it except that it was Armenian.

Drooling thinking about mushroom infused Bechamel sauces!

Last edited by Revvy; 03-10-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #20
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
I kept coming up with Basterma as well but I kept getting recipes (which sound great btw) but liitle info on the history of it except that it was Armenian.

Drooling thinking about mushroom infused Bechamel sauces!
I'd imagine there are loads of cultures who thought of the same thing, if they were the actual source passed to today's American concept of dried beef, one can only wonder...I suppose I should correct my above statement to fit that.

What I was getting at was the concept was most likely imported here from Europe, although I'd imagine anywhere cattle is plentiful, like Argentina, they'd eventually produce a similar product on their own. Bresaola would be another great example. I find the stuff we have available in most of our stores to be terribly bland.

Yeah, I can't wait for mushroom season to start again! Last year was not that great, probably one of the worst seasons I have seen all around.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply