Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > For those who have made lye pretzels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
AnthonyC
Random Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default For those who have made lye pretzels

I've made numerous batches of pretzels in my quest to make the perfect pretzel. I'm convinced lye is the only way to go. But my question is, how does everyone else deal with the stickiness of the pretzels after they get out of the lye bath? In particular, I haven't found a surface on which to cook them that doesn't result in the bottom of the pretzel nearly permanently fused to the cooking surface. Stainless steel cookie sheet is probably the worst. I've had the best luck with a really hot baking stone, but even then they stick. I've tried oiling a cookie sheet first, corn meal, salt, ... I've tried cooking temps anywhere from 400 to 525.

Has anyone else experienced sticky pretzels, and if so, how do you get around it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I deal with sticky pretzels by using a stainless cookie sheet, a stainless scraper to pop them off. I bake mine at 350° per Kaisers recipe, I loosen them off the pan after they are half done baking.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

parchment paper

Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Doesn't a Silpat work?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
AnthonyC
Random Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I tried parchment paper and it was almost impossible trying to get the paper off of the bottom of the pretzels once cooked. I think I ended up serving pretzel tops.

Perhaps it's just something in my process. I'll have to try dislodging them a bit halfway through the baking cycle. That's something I haven't tried yet.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
I tried parchment paper and it was almost impossible trying to get the paper off of the bottom of the pretzels once cooked. I think I ended up serving pretzel tops.

Perhaps it's just something in my process. I'll have to try dislodging them a bit halfway through the baking cycle. That's something I haven't tried yet.
Parchment paper stuck? I have never found anything that even came close to sticking to parchment. Only thing left would be a silpat. I love mine. Molten sugar won't even stick to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post

Always works for me. They stick pretty well right out of the oven but if you let them cool a bit they come right off, but that is removing baked things 101. How carefully are you timing the time in the lye bath? Are you allowing excess to drip off before you lay them on the parchment?

Silicone is pretty inert so the silpat might be something to try.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
AnthonyC
Random Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I picked up a silpat but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I love the crust on bottom that a hot baking stone provides (assuming I can get the freaking things dislodged cleanly).

Quote:
How carefully are you timing the time in the lye bath? Are you allowing excess to drip off before you lay them on the parchment?
Not carefully at all. I have been doing the lye bath for about 30 seconds to a minute. Perhaps that's overkill and the source of my troubles. And letting the excess drip off just causes the pretzels to stick to the stainless spatula. After reading Kaiser's recipe it sounds like he just dunks them for a second or two. I've been going with the more is better approach. Looks like I've got some experimenting to do.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I use a silpat.

Although, you could probably just throw a handful of salt underneath to keep them from sticking too much.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I usually end up making a large batch of pretzels so I like to process them in a batch mode. After the lye treatment they go onto a mesh drying rack and stay there until all have been treated. Then I bake them. I don't have any problems with sticking.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply