Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Tamales -- as requested by Revvy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Then that should work. Give it a try and let us know.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here's a good recipe without tomatoes.
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=118

Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #23
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Props on how you steamed those Revvy... I'm the guy that rushes out to by a specialty item like a steamer basket for something like this, but that looks like it would work great.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The basket comes from my spaghetti pot, and I used a folding steamer to raise it up above water level.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #25
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

This recipe is so much differant from what we do...i like the tamales from my moms side a little more than my dads but ours start the night before and its normally at least 10 pounds of meat and 15 pounds of masa to even mke it worth it. My 80 year old grandma still does about 30 lbs of meat and 45 of masa for christmas. We have been doin em for the last 2 years at my house and i have yet to master these lil treasures.
To steam them we use a pie tin with holes poked in with a knife and they are stacked like a teepee and cover with hand towels to hold the steam in

Old 04-21-2012, 01:34 AM   #26
Exbeerienced
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I thought theses were good when I made them:

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/

Old 04-21-2012, 03:13 AM   #27
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
This recipe is so much differant from what we do...i like the tamales from my moms side a little more than my dads but ours start the night before and its normally at least 10 pounds of meat and 15 pounds of masa to even mke it worth it. My 80 year old grandma still does about 30 lbs of meat and 45 of masa for christmas. We have been doin em for the last 2 years at my house and i have yet to master these lil treasures.
To steam them we use a pie tin with holes poked in with a knife and they are stacked like a teepee and cover with hand towels to hold the steam in
we do the christmas tamales too- actually christmas eve (my vowel ridden family)- they use my brew pot and load with a layer of banana leaves, tamales, leaves, et al per infinium... i don't what they put in the pot bottom - but i clean extra special... oh and they have at least two stirrers going on chicken and pork masa on the stove for at least 16 hours

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #28
peaktopview
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

claphamsa - you might try to buy a veggie green chili from the store in place of the tomato sauce, check the label though, some will have tomatillo in them (don't know if you would enjoy them, not tomatoes but similar) or maybe look online for a recipe without tomatillo if that's an issue. the tomato sauce is really in the braising liquid just to add some flavor (if the green chili is chunky, just puree it if you like). make sure it is a chili (no beans) and not just plain chiles. or now that i think of it, you could probably just get a can of fire roasted green chiles and throw it in with everything, should be fine. serve it with a green chili con carne.

could just as easily make green pork tamales as red pork tamales. i work with a lady that does both and as much as i enjoy the red, there is not much better than the green, especially when the hatch green chiles are in season.

b

edit: if you go with the straight chiles, i would maybe use some chili spice in the braising liquid too. don't be afraid to stick your finger in the liquid and taste it (or spoon). what ever that liquid taste like is going into your pork. recipes are all about doctoring them up to suit your taste. things can be added, changed or omitted (most cases).

Old 04-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #29
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Oooooh, I can't wait to make these. Although, it might not be for a while because we don't have some of those ingredients in the Northwoods. Maybe when I get back Texas next winter, I can turn into one of those "tamales ladies".
THIS is one thing I love about living in El Paso, TX! This post has inspired me to make a batch of my homemade red sauce!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #30
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
THIS is one thing I love about living in El Paso, TX! This post has inspired me to make a batch of my homemade red sauce!
Yup... socal has all the good chile year round

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS