Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Tamales -- as requested by Revvy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Oh man that looks good

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The best tamales I ever had was in Kansas city at a hole in the wall named Mama Tios. They smothered theirs in a pork/ tomato sauce that had chunks of pork in it as well. My version has onions, tomatoes, some of the reserved stewing liquid, sofrito, and more Mexican Coke. And of course chunks of pork butt.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1667 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 2838

That looks ungodly good Revvy. Sorry for the pun.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Revvy Likes This 
Old 04-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Revvy

Recipes 

claphamsa I don't really know about a tomatoe sub, I hate raw tomatoes, but don't mind them cooked down. So you don't even do spaghetti sauce?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Tomatoes are different from, I dont know, mushrooms maybe, in that if you tried mushrooms once and decided you hated them, you never have to go back and try again. I would suggest you do, but you dont have to. Sooo many things have tomatoes as the ground floor building block that if you write them off completely you are missing out on an aweful lot. Unless you have been trying them cooked first and raw second about once a year and deemed them nasty each time, I have to suggest strongly suggest you try to develop a taste for them.

I GUESS you could sub vietnamese chili and garlic paste? It wouldnt taste authentic at all, but it WOULD have the right color Id think... plus garlic is good...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Tomatoes are different from, I dont know, mushrooms maybe, in that if you tried mushrooms once and decided you hated them, you never have to go back and try again. I would suggest you do, but you dont have to. Sooo many things have tomatoes as the ground floor building block that if you write them off completely you are missing out on an aweful lot. Unless you have been trying them cooked first and raw second about once a year and deemed them nasty each time, I have to suggest strongly suggest you try to develop a taste for them.

I GUESS you could sub vietnamese chili and garlic paste? It wouldnt taste authentic at all, but it WOULD have the right color Id think... plus garlic is good...

Well speaking of mushrooms, I wonder if he could do a "mushroom water?" I cooked something the other day that had dried porcini mushrooms that I reconsititued with boiling water and let them steep. I used the musrooms, but I also used the steeping liquid. It's very 'meaty" tasty and has an earthy depth to it. It doesn't have the acidity but tomatoes and porcini mushroom liquid both are high in umami.

It might be a decent sub in this case.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just pursed my lip and nodded while reading that. Thats my go-to "hmm... that just might work" look.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
claphamsa I don't really know about a tomatoe sub, I hate raw tomatoes, but don't mind them cooked down. So you don't even do spaghetti sauce?
nope, nothing tomatoe.wont do ketchup .... nothing.

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Revvy

Recipes 

If the mushroom water doesn't thrill you, perhaps using a can of beef stock instead.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #20
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

those are the 2 things ive made chilli out of

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Quick Reply