Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Storing spent grains for making bread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
DlALTONE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Storing spent grains for making bread.

How do I store spent grains? I am guessing that I dry them out, than store them in an airtight container. Will they store properly? Anything else I should consider? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Freezer. If you don't lactobasillus will take over in about an hour and it will be a slimy stinky mess. In fact there's a sigline quote about me and Llama Spit, which is all about my experience with spent grain and Llamas.

I once got nearly attacted by a pack of LLamas for trying to feed them few days old, stored in the freezer, spent grain, that started to thaw on the hour drive in the summer.

I almost died, I swear......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I put two cups in a ziploc sandwich bag straight out of the mash and toss them in the freezer. I let it cool for a little so it doesn't make my freezer work too hard but they freeze up and then the night before I am going to make bread I throw a bag in the fridge and the next day it is thawed and ready to go.

Quick Reply