Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Started my first hot sauce

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
eatmorefrogs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Started my first hot sauce

I started my first hot sauce tonight. I took about a dozen cayenne peppers, made them rethink their sins in the food processor, put them in a mason jar and boiled for 20 minutes. It's sitting in a mason jar for the next 1-6 months.

A dozen wasn't enough to come anywhere near filling the 16 oz mason jar (my grocery store estimation was way off). I'll use more next time.

Long story short, I'm interested in making a few more pepper mashes since I have 11 more mason jars to burn through. Anyone want to toss me a recipe or pepper ratio to play with? If not, it's play time.

how many cups does a normal house have? mine has that times eight.

Last edited by eatmorefrogs; 04-04-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

EMF, I'm doing the same thing now. I've got a few cow-horn and cherry peppers from my garden that I don't want to use right now and don't want to go to waste. I'm looking around to find a good basic hot sauce recipe. Pretty funny about the peppers, "re-thinking their sins." Pete

Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
eatmorefrogs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's my first time so take any of my advice with a grain of salt. I'm learnin' with ya.

The first basic step is making a pepper mash. After that, you'll have as long as you want before you need to pick out a recipe (since it needs to age.)

This is the mash information that I followed:
http://www.hotsaucemadness.com/pepper-mash.html

I'll bump this thread when it gets turned into hot sauce, she's 5 months old this week.

Cheers! Let me know how it goes!

how many cups does a normal house have? mine has that times eight.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmorefrogs View Post
This is the mash information that I followed:
http://www.hotsaucemadness.com/pepper-mash.html
Dammnit. Not another hobby.... *adds peppers to shopping list*

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH
People Like This 
Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

There are two hot sauces that I will go out of my way to find and stock.

The first is Marie Sharp's. When you go into any house or restaurant in Belize, the Marie Sharp's is on the table, usually two bottles because the two best ones are the "green" and the "red".

Here's my clone of Marie Sharp's:
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup carrot, chopped
Water to cover
10 habanero peppers, seeded and fine chopped (more or less based on the heat level you desire.)
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

Cook onion, garlic, and carrot in enough water to cover. Blend with immersion blender. Add habaneros. Blend with immersion blender. Add lime juice, vinegar, and salt to taste. Blend again, and store in fridge.

This is HOT. I'm not kidding. I know many people don't think things are hot when told they are hot, but I am a hot sauce person. And this is HOT.

For 1/2 of the batch I did last week, I added a little canned pineapple chunks and blended that. It's excellent, and you could use papaya or mango, and it would be excellent as well. But the authentic Marie Sharp's uses prickly pear (green) or carrots (red) and not the fruits.

The other hot sauce worth noting is Matouk's from Trinadad. I haven't cloned it yet, but I think it'd be fun to do. It's definitely got a fruit-forward flavor but still very hot.

A distant third is Pirate's Revenge from Eleuthera, Bahamas. A guy named Pete and his wife (her name is Rebecca) make it and it has papaya in it. It's excellent, too, but the Marie Sharp's is beyond that. I don't know if Pirate's Revenge is available anywhere except in the Bahamas, but if you see it it's a great tasty hot sauce, especially on conch fritters. A side note is that if you stop by their store, Pete is buddies with Mick Jagger and Lenny Kravitz who have houses nearby, and there are pictures of Pete's kids watching SpongeBob SquarePants with Mick Jagger if you ask.

FermentNEthinG Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

I've been making hot sauce for over a decade. I no longer follow recipes, I just go by what sounds good. I keep my old hot sauce bottles and bottle my own. Kinda like when I used to bottle my beer. I've even used beer bottles for hot sauce but not having a resealable lid and not being able to see the sauce kinda sucks.

Like Yooper, I LOVE really hot stuff. I think a key to making good HOT sauce is using something sweet as well. carrots, peaches, pineapple, etc. In my opinion, it's really hard to make a bad sauce. I don't age mine, but I do make about six bottles at a time so by the time I get to the last bottle, it has aged, I guess.

I just made some 'taco' sauce last week using the dried peppers from the store.
dried peppers
onion
salt/pepper
garlic
cummin

blend.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Galek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yooper I think I love you. Marie Sharpes is the best hot Sauce I have had and it is hard to find any up here. I am doing your recipe within the next week or so.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
TheDudeLebowski
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 79 Posts

Just a question pnj because I've never done a hot sauce and only have read about it: I notice most recipes add vinegar to increase the acidity. Does your recipe have an ingredient that will keep the acidity/ph low in order to age without spoiling?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

That taco sauce in the picture does not have any vinegar. I often put some form of vinegar in my sauce but the taco sauce never lasts long enough to matter.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1612 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 2690

Just the other day I found jalapenos at the grocery store that were on sale, $0.99 for a pound. Since I am trying to keep busy anyway, I sweated down the peppers with onions and garlic and then added water and boiled down. Then I pureed the hell out of it and let it cool before adding vinegar. The issue now, is I have loads of hot sauce I am trying to pawn off on friends.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Quick Reply