Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Spotted seatrout and shrimp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

We're having a small get-together tonight. A couple of neighbors and a friend of theirs and Bob's brother (from Phoenix) are coming over. It's supposed to be really rainy for the next 24 hours, so the weather will suck, but the neighbor already brought over his big fish frying wok with a propane tank and a jug of peanut oil.

We're having fried fish, grilled shrimp, grilled vension, and all the sides.

I made cole slaw, Texas beans, mango salsa, potato salad, blueberry cobbler, and salsa verde. I've turned into a cooking fanatic. And I like it!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #32
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

It's been a while since I've put more thoughts here about the fish. Yesterday I broiled flounder and black drum that Bob caught- I made a lime garlic marinade. It was really great.

But now I have to learn how to cook these:
blue_crab.jpg

I also have to figure out how to eat them! I've never had a whole crab in my life. We also got a great big stone crab, and I knew to remove the right claw and throw him back so we did that. I think stone crab claw is as good as lobster tail, so that was pretty exciting!

JesseRC Likes This 
Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #33
roylee
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Boil water. Bay seasoning is optional, but I like it. Add crabs. Leave for 12 minutes after water returns to a boil. Cool just enough to be able to handle them. Break off claws and crack enough to break open without crushing the flesh inside (nutcracker or tap with a beer bottle.) I usually bend the pointed small claw back to break and pull it out.. you'll see why. Bodies are more work. Peel back the arrow=shaped thingies on the underside (they also tell you if the crab is male or female). Then with one hand for the top and one for the bottom separate as if you were splitting an orange. You'll have a top shell and bottom shell. Throw the top away. White lumps of meat are everyplace a leg was attached. Most of the other stuff is lungs and gunk, although the green stuff (called tamale) is good. Getting all the meat is tedious. My wife uses a nutpick. Delicious.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #34
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylee View Post
Boil water. Bay seasoning is optional, but I like it. Add crabs. Leave for 12 minutes after water returns to a boil. Cool just enough to be able to handle them. Break off claws and crack enough to break open without crushing the flesh inside (nutcracker or tap with a beer bottle.) I usually bend the pointed small claw back to break and pull it out.. you'll see why. Bodies are more work. Peel back the arrow=shaped thingies on the underside (they also tell you if the crab is male or female). Then with one hand for the top and one for the bottom separate as if you were splitting an orange. You'll have a top shell and bottom shell. Throw the top away. White lumps of meat are everyplace a leg was attached. Most of the other stuff is lungs and gunk, although the green stuff (called tamale) is good. Getting all the meat is tedious. My wife uses a nutpick. Delicious.
Thanks for the tip!!! I'll definitely do that.

Maybe next year we can get together for beer/oysters/crab/shrimp. You left too soon this year!

Quick Reply