Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Spent grain chocolate chip cookies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Spent grain chocolate chip cookies

My wife found this recipe while I was doing a big RIS with 30# of grain. Link to recipe on omnomicon.com.

These are *delicious*. I expected to be picking rice hulls out of my teeth, but they're actually very soft and cakey. Today, the day after they were baked, the flavor of the specialty grains is really coming out. With all of that black and chocolate malt, these have a lot of character.

We're trying two different versions of spent grain beer bread: one batch we're processing the grains in the food processor, the other just dumping them in.

-Joe

grain_cookies.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
nostalgia
Recipes 

And here is the spent grain bread. It's still cooling on the rack but it sure looks good!

-Joe

grain_bread1.jpg

grain_bread2.jpg

grain_bread3.jpg

grain_bread4.jpg

Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
jewillia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Both look great. Thanks for sharing this and making me hungry.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How about the recipe for that bread!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Both look great. Nice crust and color on the bread.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
nostalgia
Recipes 

Just opened the bread after letting it rest an hour or so. zOMG so delicious! My wife had to restrain me from eating them both at once. Like the cookies, the husks and rice hulls aren't a problem, even in the one that didn't go through the food processor.

The recipe is based on this one from Beer Advocate. The recipe seems to assume that you have some bread making experience - it leaves rising times up to you. Here are the things I would change, being an experienced bread maker:

I thought it was a little salty, so I might go down to 1/2 to 3/4 of a Tb. Your tastes may vary.

Not a change, but note that you can pop the initial sponge into the fridge overnight if you have to.

The 5 cups of flour specified in the recipe is just a starting point - since my grain was wet, I needed a LOT more flour. I used 5 cups of bread flour and the rest was all-purpose. Just keep adding it until you get a kneadable dough.

Rising: I did about 1hr 15min for the first rise until the dough looked about doubled. I followed the directions in the recipe and put the loaves in a cold oven right after shaping, turning the oven to 400 after they were in. I would change this and do a rise after shaping. That would prevent the wild blowouts I got. Then slash the top and pop in a pre-heated oven.

-Joe

grain_bread5.jpg

grain_bread6.jpg

Quick Reply