LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 04:32 AM   #101
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I have a brew-buddy that has a flour mill... I'm thinking about taking a bit of some base malt, and maybe a little of some other malts, and having him turn it into flour for me so that I can use it in a batch of bread. I'll still use regular flour, but I'm not sure if I'll use spent grain still. I do think I'll reserve some wort to put into the bread though (from the same batch)... I could be baking it this weekend. If I do, I'll post up the results.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #102
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Has anyone frozen spent grain?

Spent grain bread is awesome. Interesting to see Red Ale made dark brown bread and IPA made medium brown (both WindRiver extract kits). I still haven't solved the collapsing dome issue (in my bread machine) but I'm experimenting with less yeast and/or less water. No biggie, stand the loaf on end and slice off the crusty rim.

But, I've been wondering if I can freeze the spent grain for later baking?

Anyone have other interesting use? (besides feeding deer...which is noble but we have Lyme Disease here so I don't really want them in the yard!) One guy told me he mixesthem into the garden soil..."I throw them away" seems like a huge lost opportunity!

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #103
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You can also use the spent grain to make pet (aka dog) treats... There's a recipe posted, just search for it a bit...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #104
mikebowman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsday
Spent grain bread is awesome. Interesting to see Red Ale made dark brown bread and IPA made medium brown (both WindRiver extract kits). I still haven't solved the collapsing dome issue (in my bread machine) but I'm experimenting with less yeast and/or less water. No biggie, stand the loaf on end and slice off the crusty rim.

But, I've been wondering if I can freeze the spent grain for later baking?

Anyone have other interesting use? (besides feeding deer...which is noble but we have Lyme Disease here so I don't really want them in the yard!) One guy told me he mixesthem into the garden soil..."I throw them away" seems like a huge lost opportunity!
I've read that that they make great compost

Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #105
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Are you guys making starters with your bread yeast?

I usually do about 1:2 ratio of flour to water, a couple tsp honey and 1/4 tsp instant yeast. Mix and chill overnight. Gets me a better rise and better flavor. For one loaf I go about 5 oz flour, 2 tsp honey, 10 oz water.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #106
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsday View Post
... But, I've been wondering if I can freeze the spent grain for later baking? ...
I freeze mine until the beer that the grain came from is ready, so I can use it in the bread. It freezes just fine.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #107
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Good to know thanks. I had accumulated 2 partial bags in the fridge and decided to dry them and see if birds would be interested. I spread on a tray, put in the oven, raised the temp to about 300* then shut off (took 2 cycles). This made the house smell like brew day and I had the thought of steeping them in our potpouri mini-crock pot just to have that pleasant odor. But the big surprise to me was how light the result was. It's probably 3-4 cups of stuff and it weighs about 5.5 ounces. Had I done this immediately it seems like these could be added to bread and stored for a very long time. Might also solve the cavig in bread syndrome.
I wonder if you compared the weight of dried spent grains to the original pre-brew grain weight if that would indicate any measure of efficiency...altho probably not worth the time and energy (in my case propane).

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #108
ElevenBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Soooo i think mine produced a little bit of alcohol! I started a bit to late lastnight so it didnt have time to rise. I left it over night seperated it in the morning. Left it while at work, andit smelt like cheap ass vodka before the bake andafter. Oooops!

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #109
bcervin
Recipes 

Just made a double batch. Just one problem with it... It's so good that my roommates eat all of it before I get a piece. Good recipe thanks!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #110
EndlessWinter77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Made this yesterday! Made one loaf using the basic recipe, but made this loaf replacing the water with Black Bear XX Stout from Alameda Brewhouse. It adds a nice layer of flavor. Spent grain was ground C40L and a little roasted barley. from a partial grain Pale Ale.

Quick Reply