Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Spent Grain - Bread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #91
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

so wouldnt it be better to grind up the spent grains in a food processer before making the bread?. I really wish i had save some of my previous batches. Im thinking of dehydrating them also and turning it into flour that way i can use more of it and give it away easier.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #92
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
so wouldnt it be better to grind up the spent grains in a food processer before making the bread?. I really wish i had save some of my previous batches. Im thinking of dehydrating them also and turning it into flour that way i can use more of it and give it away easier.
I mentioned doing that back in post #54... In the batches since then, I've spun the grains more to get them into a finer state. Basically, I scoop in ~5 cups of grain, and get 3 cups out of the food processor... It takes a little while, but it's worth it...

Since I'm about to have a lot of grain on hand, I'm thinking about trying the bread with just one or two cups of freshly crushed base malt (maybe some caramel or honey malt too). Could be rather interesting...

I did reserve some wort from the last brew (on last Sunday) that I plan on reducing even more. I have about 5 quarts right now, plan on reducing as far as I can (hopefully down to about 1 quart)... It started off as 2 gallons, so it's on the way to being really concentrated... I might take a hydrometer reading off of it before I start reducing it again, just to see where it's at...

Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #93
GeoGirl
Recipes 

In one of the posts here, someone said that the bread made with the grains from an extract brew would be sweeter than from a full mash. I'm not ready to step up to full grain brews so only have the grains from the extract kits. Could the sweetness be reduced by cutting down on the sugar used in the recipes? In looking at the different recipes in this thread, they all use more sugar than I generally do for bread.

Would love to be making some bread from the grains as it just seems so wasteful to throw them out!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #94
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4594 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 2060

BTW, I have not had luck with getting my frozen dough to re-rise after doubling the yeast and freezing for a couple weeks. Thawed in fridge and left out to rise all day and proofed in oven and nothing, just a miniscule amount of rising.

Anyone else had luck freezing it?

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #95
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Same results for me... Pretty much given up on getting it to work at this point. I might revisit it at a later date, but I have other (more important) things to work on...

Next time I brew, I intend to mill up some extra grain for use in bread... The person I brewed with last week has a mill for making flour, which I intend to send a pound, or so, through. This will be grain that doesn't get processed into wort, so it should have all of it's flavors in it. I'll post up the results when I have them.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #96
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4594 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 2060

Guess I am going back to baking several loaves and freezing the whole loaves. Now I have several loaves of "not gonna rise" dough in the freezer.

Oh well.

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #97
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Guess I am going back to baking several loaves and freezing the whole loaves. Now I have several loaves of "not gonna rise" dough in the freezer.

Oh well.
You may be able to use chemical methods to make it rise, but then it would be more of a quick bread. Perhaps you could make some pretty good rolls, although they will be very chewy from the gluten...

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 03-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #98
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted recipes here. I did my first partial mash yesterday and decided to try some bread with the spent grains. I used the original recipe posted on page 1 except I added about 6 oz of my homebrewed red ale. It turned out fantastic! I will be making this again soon!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #99
PerpetualBuzz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbayjay
Hey! Great thread here. Inspired me to try my own take on baking with spent grains. I used spent grains from my recent attempt at cloning Deschutes Mirror Pond.

Here are my results:

And here's my take on a recipe:

3 cups spent grain
5 cups bread flour (approximate)
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup homemade Irish Stout
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pkg dry baking yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm (112*F) water
Pinch of cornmeal

Combine grain, 2 cups of bread flour, salt, and brown sugar in large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.

Dissolve 1/2 tsp white sugar in 112*F water in a small bowl. Sprinkle dry yeast on water surface. Cover bowl w. foil and hold between 110* and 115* for 10 mins.

Meanwhile, add beer and oil to grain/flour mixture and stir together. Slowly add 2 more cups of bread flour and combine (I just used my hands, coated w. flour to avoid sticking).

After 10 mins soaking, gently stir yeast mixture, replace cover and rest for 5 mins or until yeast cream is nice and thick.

Add yeast mixture to dough and combine by hand. Slowly add remaining bread flour until dough is stiff and only a bit sticky.

Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. Place dough in large bowl coated w. nonstick spray, cover w. damp towel, and leave for 2-3 hours (or until roughly double in size) in a warm spot to rise.

After initial rise, punch down dough and turn out onto floured surface. Shape into a round loaf, pulling the top of the loaf tight. Grease (or spray) a large cookie sheet and sprinkle with a bit of cornmeal to prevent sticking. Place loaf on prepared sheet, cover w. damp towel, and allow to rise for another 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until roughly doubled.

Preheat oven to 425*F. Bake loaf on center rack for 20 minutes. Using a spray bottle with clean water, mist the entire loaf (6-8 squirts) every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes. Then reduce oven temp to 375* and bake another 25 mins, or until loaf sounds hollow when thumped with a knuckle. Cool, cut, and munch.

Yum! This thread got me going, so thanks for the inspiration.

Oh my...this is delicious. Substituted brown ale with the grain bill for a wheat beer. Yum!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #100
theRick
Recipes 

Didn't think about checking here first but made bread last week after an AG batch. I used a recipe from my bread machine and just substituted spent grain (pulsed a bit in a food processor) for the 7-grain cereal in the recipe. The wife said it was the best bread I've ever made and now for the first time in 10 years she's encouraging me to make more beer for the spent grain (I tossed the rest of the grain from the last batch).

If I knew that I would have made bread this way a long time ago Time to formulate another recipe! And vaccuum seal some extra grain! Super simple with a bread machine, any brewers who also have a bread machine this is a no brainer!

Quick Reply