LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
adiochiro3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default Spent Grain Bread

So I kept the spent grains from my last batch Sunday (an English Ordinary Bitter) and put some in my waffle batter yesterday and made a loaf of barley bread today. Man-o-man did it turn out great.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was a really simple recipe I picked up online:

• 3 cups spent grain (wet)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp yeast
  • 1/4 cup sugar

Use Spent Grain that still has a small amount of sugars still in the grain. Crystal, Munich, Maris Otter, Honey Malt are great malts to use. Stay away from large amounts of Roasted Malts.*

Add 1 tsp salt and knead in or mix flour, one cup at a time, until the dough will not stick to the fingers. This will take about 5 additional cups, the amount depending on the water content of the grain. Continue to knead or mix until a silky texture that does not stick to fingers is achieved.

Let dough rise (covered) in a warm place for at least an hour or till it doubles in volume. Then form into loaves and let rise again. When doubled in volume, bake at 375 for 30-35 min. Test to make sure done inside.

This is a heavy, dense, dark bread -- not unlike a squaw bread we've had at a favorite restaurant.

There are 2 things I will do differently on the next round: use honey or LME instead of table sugar, and use beer instead of water.

I highly recommend you give something like this a try if you haven't yet.

James

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
Holy_Hops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks delicious. I'm brewing a big DIPA this weekend. Maybe I'll save the grains for this...or dog treats.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
conneryis007
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Iv been making these loafs with what looks like the same online recipe! Turns out great. Sometimes I use more regular grain and less spent grains depending on how heavy I want the bread. Iv been wondering what effect replacing the water with beer will have?!? I might have to try this next time!

Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
DeTech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My swmbo makes some awesome spent grain cheese bread. Very similar recipe. Must be a google thing :-p

Sour Patch Cider | CoCo Quad | The Way it Gose | Saison d'Banjo | Saison The Elder | Dry Irish Stout | 1/2 & 1/2 (Slumbrew My Better Half clone) | Atomic Red | New England Cyser | Thursday Nite Porter | Concord Trippel | CinaGuava Winter Ale | Far East IPA (x4) | Gingered Wheat | Haitian Cream Stout

Old 05-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Elysium
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiochiro3 View Post
So I kept the spent grains from my last batch Sunday (an English Ordinary Bitter) and put some in my waffle batter yesterday and made a loaf of barley bread today. Man-o-man did it turn out great.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was a really simple recipe I picked up online:

• 3 cups spent grain (wet)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp yeast
  • 1/4 cup sugar

Use Spent Grain that still has a small amount of sugars still in the grain. Crystal, Munich, Maris Otter, Honey Malt are great malts to use. Stay away from large amounts of Roasted Malts.*

Add 1 tsp salt and knead in or mix flour, one cup at a time, until the dough will not stick to the fingers. This will take about 5 additional cups, the amount depending on the water content of the grain. Continue to knead or mix until a silky texture that does not stick to fingers is achieved.

Let dough rise (covered) in a warm place for at least an hour or till it doubles in volume. Then form into loaves and let rise again. When doubled in volume, bake at 375 for 30-35 min. Test to make sure done inside.

This is a heavy, dense, dark bread -- not unlike a squaw bread we've had at a favorite restaurant.

There are 2 things I will do differently on the next round: use honey or LME instead of table sugar, and use beer instead of water.

I highly recommend you give something like this a try if you haven't yet.
Hey. This looks very delicious. Can you do us a favour and update the recipe? Tell us when you add the yeast and water (or beer). And what kinda yeast you add....

Thanks a lot.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
BikerBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 138

That does look delicious, I made some spent grain bread in the bread machine a while back from a recipe I got on here and that turned out pretty good. I've got a sourdough starter going now I made with some trub from my last beer and want to try making a sourdough spent grain bread next. Never thought of using the grains in waffles but I'm suring going to try that, thanks for the great idea.

Ride Hard, Be Safe, and Brew Beer.

Quick Reply