Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > "Southern" style beans

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2136 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Default "Southern" style beans

Growing up, I spent quite a bit of time at my best friend's house. Being poor they would often make "Beans". I loved it! I am not sure exactly what beans they used, but I think they were Pinto beans. However, I know that pinto beans are not as dark as what they served. So I tried Black beans and pinto beans that last time. This gave the dark "gravy" that I remember.

After an all night soak I drained the water (Beans had swelled to gigantic proportions!) and placed the beans in the crock pot with a bunch of leftover ham and let it cook from about 7:00 am til about 4:00 pm and they were still kind of firm, so I turned the pot on high and let it go few more hours and they were pretty good.

BUT! I would like to season them a bit better. I added only enough salt to make them edible and figured I could add a bit to each bowl. I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas on some seasonings for basic "beans". Not baked beans, barbque beans, etc like that. Just beans.

Also finally got some biscuits to turn out, so I'm pretty happy. Nothing like biscuits and beans with eggs for breakfast, unless it's Biscuits and gravy with eggs for breakfast!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Awesome man!

I prefer cranberry beans for "BEANS".

They taste better than pintos.

You did everything right....BUT:

Before cooking the beans, put 1-3 pieces of good bacon in your cook pot. Remove bacon, leave grease HOT.

Halve 2 big onions and 2 red bell peppers. Let them cook until dark brown in the bacon grease. Toss your beans and water on that, the onions will darken the liquid and offer HUGE flavor. The bell peppers will mostly disintegrate adding color and flavor. the onions will disintegrate entirely in the long slow cook.

I like to cheat and toss in some store bought cajun seasoning, but salt and pepper are fine. Beans take a LOT of salt.

I like to go even more southern with a ton of chili powder, paprika, and dried chilis. You can't go wrong with some chopped green chilis regardless.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

When I was in seminary in Missouri I ate a lot of "White beans and Ham" which was a thick side dish (not a soup) usually served with fried catfish and hush puppies that was simply spiced with black pepper. I think the beans were Great Northerns.

I can't find any recipes that approximate it. Everything I find online is either a soup, or it's got a million other ingredients like tons of diced veggies. I remember making it once when I lived there, and whatever I did was dead on, but since it's been a decade since I was there, I can't really recall what I did. I think it was beans, ham, salt and pepper, and that was it, but I can't remember. I'd kill for it again.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
When I was in seminary in Missouri I ate a lot of "White beans and Ham" which was a thick side dish (not a soup) usually served with fried catfish and hush puppies that was simply spiced with black pepper. I think the beans were Great Northerns.

I can't find any recipes that approximate it. Everything I find online is either a soup, or it's got a million other ingredients like tons of diced veggies. I remember making it once when I lived there, and whatever I did was dead on, but since it's been a decade since I was there, I can't really recall what I did. I think it was beans, ham, salt and pepper, and that was it, but I can't remember. I'd kill for it again.
I sat down in a REAL catfish place one time. Beans and hush puppies hit the table before I had spoken to ANYONE, lol. Before a glass of water, before a "How are you tonight?" I barely had the sense not to say "I didn't order this"

Great beans to be sure, but I think he means pintos style.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

We grew up (in Northeast Texas) eating beans (pintos) at least twice a week as a main dish, with a side of pan fried potatoes and skillet cornbread. The beans were seasoned with the left over bone from a ham--but a smoked ham hock is even better. Either will darken the broth a bit. Still to this day, when I think of comfort food, this is what comes to mind.

OK! Now I'm hungry and really want beans and potatoes--and I'd kill for some cornbread in sweet milk!

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I sat down in a REAL catfish place one time. Beans and hush puppies hit the table before I had spoken to ANYONE, lol. Before a glass of water, before a "How are you tonight?" I barely had the sense not to say "I didn't order this"
Sounds exactly like the place I used to go to. Jumpin Catfish. Sad thing is, I only ever went for the catfish. I never even realized they had duck confit, quail and a lot of game on the menue.....

I actually can't remember what bean was used in those....maybe it was pinto, and that's why nothing I've made since has been close....hmm?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Sounds exactly like the place I used to go to. Jumpin Catfish. Sad thing is, I only ever went for the catfish. I never even realized they had duck confit, quail and a lot of game on the menue.....

I actually can't remember what bean was used in those....maybe it was pinto, and that's why nothing I've made since has been close....hmm?
I think you were right with the northern beans for catfish. I meant that Homer is trying to get at a pintoish recipe.

DAMMIT!!!! Will go home and soak cranberry beans at lunch!!!! Will post up pics.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I make smoked beans when I make a brisket. That is the recipe I use Great Northerns for. I make the beans and then while smoking the brisket I place the pan of beans underneath to catch the drippings. Smoke, brown sugar, molasses (etc.) and all that brisket juice meld together, and then I mix the brisket trimmings into the beans before serving--not to mention spritzing the surface with beer every half hour. They're not exactly low fat!

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
I make smoked beans when I make a brisket. That is the recipe I use Great Northerns for. I make the beans and then while smoking the brisket I place the pan of beans underneath to catch the drippings. Smoke, brown sugar, molasses (etc.) and all that brisket juice meld together, and then I mix the brisket trimmings into the beans before serving--not to mention spritzing the surface with beer every half hour. They're not exactly low fat!
You sir are pure EVIL!!!! I prefer some pig in my beans, but I bet those are AWESOME!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

+1 on adding onions and peppers. I also like green tomato ketchup/relish in mine. A little cumin is great in beans too, but too much will make it taste more like chili beans.

Quick Reply