Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Sous Vide laternative equipment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2448 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Default Sous Vide laternative equipment?

EDIT TITLE: Supposed to be "Alternative".

Just wondering if anyone has tried cooking sous vide with a temp controller hooked up to something other than their HERMS/RIMS or brewing equipment.

I wondered how well it would work with a crock pot, or a kettle and electric hotplate...

I have several Love style controllers and am thinking about rigging up a temp controller box for this kind of setup so I can use it without any impact on my brewing stuff.

I can't see a problem with a setup like that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
SpaceCoastBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Haven't done it yet, but I'm toying with the idea of using my crockpot. According to some information on Auber, there are several workable options. Rice cookers, crockpot, steam tables, etc. Check out this link. If you scroll to the bottom there is a link/file that list alternatives that Auber's unit will work with. Again, I haven't done it but it appears that somebody has put some thought into it.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...a33c14b2f02c85

Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
kgalle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just use the cooler. Get the water to temp, add vacuum sealed "product" and maybe a little extra hot water. Put on the lid and step away.

NO PEEKING!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Yeah. After I did some reading online I find out lots of different equipment options people are using!

I've got like 3-4 Love controllers on hand from equipment we were scrapping at work and I thought I'd build a control box for me and a friend. His daughter is graduating and appears to be going into cooking as a career. She has a full time summer job as head chef and got an offer to work extra hours for someone else. I know her dad had mentioned this method before but never tried it and I think they would like to give it a try and it won't hurt her having some experience cooking that way as she looks for jobs.

So anyway it looks like another project, but a pretty simple one in this case. I'm going to use one of my SS kettles and a hotplate that I had no use for but couldn't bring myself to throw away (I KNEW I would find a use!) to start with I think.

Already have a foodsaver and only need a box to put the controller in and a few tiny odds and ends. I'm already planning pork chops and fish!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
edthefox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a bucket heater in my ice chest when I cook sous vide. Works great as long as you have a cheapo pump circulating the water, otherwise, I get uneven heating.

Here's one on Amazon But you can find 'em cheaper.

Best chicken or pork chops you'll ever eat. It really shines when you're cooking for a group of friends as it lets you focus on your guests instead of grilling.

Reason: fixed the link

Old 02-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Oh my god, you mean when I'm done lagering with my ebay temp controller, I can use it with my crock pot for Sous Vide????

*Mad scientist grin*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Oh my god, you mean when I'm done lagering with my ebay temp controller, I can use it with my crock pot for Sous Vide????

*Mad scientist grin*
I know, right!?

I brought my stuff in today so I could measure and draw it up in Solidworks so I can get accurate measurements to cut openings and whatnot. If I don't do this, I make mistakes.

Don't tell the boss...

If it turns out, I'll surprise the front office people with some sous vide treats...

Quick Reply