Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > sourdough starter using spent grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
chass3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default sourdough starter using spent grain

hi all,

I just threw together a sourdough starter using a half cup of spent 6-row (which I used to make a starter wort- way cheaper than extract if you've got the time!), a pinch of fresh 2-row, a cup of AP flour, and an 1/8th tsp bread yeast.

I'm hoping to get a pronounced sourness from the spent grain, since it's supposedly crawling in lacto. I'll make bread with this and some more spent grain from my brewday this weekend and report back on how it came out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
scone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chass3 View Post
hi all,

I just threw together a sourdough starter using a half cup of spent 6-row (which I used to make a starter wort- way cheaper than extract if you've got the time!), a pinch of fresh 2-row, a cup of AP flour, and an 1/8th tsp bread yeast.

I'm hoping to get a pronounced sourness from the spent grain, since it's supposedly crawling in lacto. I'll make bread with this and some more spent grain from my brewday this weekend and report back on how it came out.
Awesome. I was just thinking about making a lacto starter (using grain) and feeding it flour to see if I can get a sourdough culture going. I'm very curious how this turns out for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply