The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Sooo, steak?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Fusorfodder
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sooo, steak?

Alright, I'm in an apartment so no grill for me, but here's how I've been doing steaks.

Pull steak out of fridge a half hour early, lightly pat with a paper towel to get extra juices up.
Sprinkle each side with some kosher salt and some fresh ground pepper.
Wait half hour
While waiting, prepare finishing butter - 1tbs butter, pinches of kosher salt, garlic powder, rosemary, and parsley. Mix that all up and let it sit.
Heat up cast iron skillet on the stove (electric) to about 5..
Cook steak by feel (medium rare), flipping every couple of minutes. It's taken some practice, but I can judge doneness properly by prodding with tongs on 1" ribeyes and strips which is what we pretty much always have.
After steak feels done, set on a plate to rest, spread finishing butter over it.
Wait 5 minutes
Serve, and enjoy!

So that's how I do it, and the finishing butter made a HUGE difference when I started using it. I would like to get an idea of other ways to prepare steaks though, namely any other good sauces or prep techniques that give a stellar steak. I feel I've got the hard part down with nailing the doneness, but some variety would be cool. SWMBO and I will get the value pack from Wegmans which is always a nice price, and then split a steak for dinner about once a week. While steak is delicious, I could go for some variety!

So, how do you steak?

Primary - Beer
Primary - More Beer
Secondary - Still More Beer
Kegged - Yet More Beer
Planning - A Bunch of Beer and some mead

I always forget to update this thing, so the above should in general hold true.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
kaconga
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You could branch out into meals based on steaks. Fajitas are delicious when made at home. Just get a skirt steak and prepare it similarly to what you normally do but season it with Mexican spices. While it's resting cook your peppers and onions. Serve with taco condiments.

Barring that I would look at getting a stovetop grill pan. Not as good as charcoal but it gets closer.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
Puckhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Add your salt right as you put them in the pan adding it before dries it out. When I cook mine I use my cast iron skillet, turn it on high. Sear each side of the steak 20-30 secs and finish in the over at 500 for roughly 3 mins each side for a 1.5" strip. Let rest for 5 mins and devour....

Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
Fusorfodder
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaconga View Post
You could branch out into meals based on steaks. Fajitas are delicious when made at home. Just get a skirt steak and prepare it similarly to what you normally do but season it with Mexican spices. While it's resting cook your peppers and onions. Serve with taco condiments.

Barring that I would look at getting a stovetop grill pan. Not as good as charcoal but it gets closer.
Good call on fajitas, SWMBO is on low carb but these would certainly be delicious without the tortilla. I've got a grill pan, but on an electric stove it just takes too long without enough radiant heat.

And Puckhead - as I understand it, the salt draws out some of the moisture which helps concentrate the flavor. By no means are the steaks dry when I cook them though. I'll give it a try with salt in the pan next go around and see how that comes out. I'll skip the oven though since I've got the cooking technique down for doneness already, and I'd hate to puncture the steak with a probe thermometer.

Primary - Beer
Primary - More Beer
Secondary - Still More Beer
Kegged - Yet More Beer
Planning - A Bunch of Beer and some mead

I always forget to update this thing, so the above should in general hold true.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

We do a steak salad with a couple of variations, one has Brined Greek Olives with Feta, and another has Blue Cheese and string beans I think, I'd have to check the recipe box, but they're both pretty tasty.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
gratus fermentatio
Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusorfodder View Post
Alright, I'm in an apartment so no grill for me, but here's how I've been doing steaks.

Pull steak out of fridge a half hour early, lightly pat with a paper towel to get extra juices up.
Wait half hour
While waiting, prepare finishing butter - 1tbs butter, pinches of kosher salt, garlic powder, rosemary, and parsley. Mix that all up and let it sit.
Cook steak by feel (medium rare), flipping every couple of minutes. It's taken some practice, but I can judge doneness properly by prodding with tongs on 1" ribeyes and strips which is what we pretty much always have.
After steak feels done, set on a plate to rest, spread finishing butter over it.
Wait 5 minutes
Serve, and enjoy!

So that's how I do it, and the finishing butter made a HUGE difference when I started using it. I would like to get an idea of other ways to prepare steaks though, namely any other good sauces or prep techniques that give a stellar steak. I feel I've got the hard part down with nailing the doneness, but some variety would be cool. SWMBO and I will get the value pack from Wegmans which is always a nice price, and then split a steak for dinner about once a week. While steak is delicious, I could go for some variety!

So, how do you steak?
When I lived in an apt I still grilled, just in the parking lot. Some had a little hibachi they used on the balcony, but I had a bigger grill, so it was the parking lot for me. Nobody ever complained.

You might try adding a touch of amber LME to your finishing butter, it adds a nice bit of malt flavour to the meat. I also like to brush the meat with EVO or dark sesame oil during the last minute or 2 on the grill.
Regards, GF.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusorfodder View Post

Wait half hour
Wait 5 minutes
Serve, and enjoy!

So, how do you steak?

A little trick for ya to figure meat temp.

Take your left hand and locate the abductor pollicis brevis (APB muscle)

#1 on the lower image in this link

http://sparkcharts.sparknotes.com/he.../section15.php

1) Touch the tip of your pinky to your thumb (on the same hand same hand for this and all below) , press on the APB muscle, this is what well done should feel like

2) Touch the tip of your thumb to your ring finger, press on APB muscle, this is what medium well should feel like

3) Touch the tip of your thumb to your bird (middle) finger, Press on the APB muscle, this is what medium should feel like

4) Touch the tiop of your thumb to your index finger, press on APB muscle, this os what Medium rare should feel like

5) Leave your thumb slack, press on APB muscle, this is what rare should feel like....

Hope this helps

BTW, I do something similar if I am cooking inside (rarely), though I do leave the meat out longer (a couple of hours), and season just before hitting the heat. No oil on the steaks, just S&P. A nice compound butter with truffle OR smoked sea salt, fresh minced garlic is just fine.

Usually I do steaks outside on the Cargriller, but with a similar seasoning profile...

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Last edited by wolfstar; 05-17-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: oops

Old 05-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

man im in the same boat condos suck..... i hate even doing burgers inside cuz it smokes the hell out of my place ......

Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
mugzz819
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My favorite thing to do with pork chops which I'll bet would work for steak as well, either on the grill or on the cast iron inside, is to take them out of the fridge and throw some adobo (popular hispanic spice, found everywhere) on them and let it soak in while they come to room temp. It's easy and gives a great flavor...sometimes I'll grill up some long hot peppers and scallions to go with it, I'd imagine you could just throw them in the pan while the meat rests...

Old 05-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2616

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstar View Post
A little trick for ya to figure meat temp.

Take your left hand and locate the abductor pollicis brevis (APB muscle)

#1 on the lower image in this link

http://sparkcharts.sparknotes.com/he.../section15.php

1) Touch the tip of your pinky to your thumb (on the same hand same hand for this and all below) , press on the APB muscle, this is what well done should feel like

2) Touch the tip of your thumb to your ring finger, press on APB muscle, this is what medium well should feel like

3) Touch the tip of your thumb to your bird (middle) finger, Press on the APB muscle, this is what medium should feel like

4) Touch the tiop of your thumb to your index finger, press on APB muscle, this os what Medium rare should feel like

5) Leave your thumb slack, press on APB muscle, this is what rare should feel like....

Hope this helps

BTW, I do something similar if I am cooking inside (rarely), though I do leave the meat out longer (a couple of hours), and season just before hitting the heat. No oil on the steaks, just S&P. A nice compound butter with truffle OR smoked sea salt, fresh minced garlic is just fine.

Usually I do steaks outside on the Cargriller, but with a similar seasoning profile...

Wolfstar where did you learn that? Does it really work? Going to try in an hour or so.

If this trick works, Greatest post ever!

Quick Reply