The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Smoking Country Style Pork Ribs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
jmp138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Smoking Country Style Pork Ribs

I got a new smoker for christmas and after smoking three chickens for christmas yesterday, which were absolutely awesome, I am going to do some country style ribs today.

Basically just big meaty sections of meat from the rib cut that aren't on a rack. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on smoking these.

My plan is just to smoke them at around 225 for about 3-4 hours, then put them over direct charcoal heat to crisp them up.

Just looking for any extra advice from you grill masters. Thank you very much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
lidon123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started smoking about three years ago when my father in law gave me a stand up propane smoker. My favorite thing to smoke is ribs and I have found that my favorite technique is to always smoke the ribs as low as possible (175-215) for about five to six hours. I like to use either cherry or apple chips, dried and I change the chips out about halfway through or as necessary depending on heat and your smoker. I usually marinate my rips in either bbq sauce or brown sugar and pineapple the night before.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

i love the country style ribs. dry rub em with some pepper, paprika, sea salt, some sugar, and a pinch on thyme. let em set for 4-6hrs then smoke em low and slow for at least 4hrs then if desired finish em on the grill for criping on the outside.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
jmp138
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah I made a killer dry rub and they have been just sitting on the counter sucking that stuff in for about 3 hours. They just went on and I am thinking I may do edwort's method. He smokes them for about 3 hours, puts some brown sugar and honey on tin foil, then wraps them in that for about an hour. He then grill's them direct until they get all delicious and crispy.

That sounds damn good to me.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just got a side firebox for my chargriller and tried it out sunday. I did the same method I used before but they came out better with the heat\wood in the side firebox instead of just pushed off to the side.

I let the ribs get close to room temp and rub (b. sugar, seal salt, paprika, b. pepper, crushed coriander and a little cinnamon) them and let sit for a while (hour or 2). Then smoke for 2-3 hours with some hickory (this time I used some cherry) then pull off and but in a pan with butter, apple cider, brown sugar and cover. put back on for 1-1.5 hours. Some times I put my homemade sauce on and put over direct heat for a little bit to crisp them up.

The bones pull right out of them, the meat is tender and juicy...delicious!

FYI...here's another thread on ribs: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/smokin-ribs-109987/

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Last edited by SOB; 12-28-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your time and temps are right, your ribs will have a "bark" when finished. No need to use the direct grilling at the end.

You should only wrap in foil if you like mushy meat.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have the smoker with the firebox on the side lower than the main portion and just do the slow and low method with a rubbed meat. I have been filling a pan with half apple juice, half water below the meat lately and works good. I am hoping to do some spare ribs new years day.

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
You should only wrap in foil if you like mushy meat.
You're exactly right...people I cook them for enjoy them but I'm not a huge fan. I have tried the straight smoking method once and they turned out tough. Maybe I need to try it again now that I have the side box but I have been thinking of cutting back my "foil" time.

To be honest, I dont really like eating ribs that much. I LOVE the BBQing process (drinking, watching the BBQ, etc) and having others enjoy them but I can do without the eating part.

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 12-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Dalarast
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh perhaps one of the best things to do on the weekend is smoke and brew... great combo! My process for smoking ribs (depending on time) is a full smoke and perhaps an 30mins to an hour in the grill (wrapped in foil). To avoid drying out the ribs I found that when I check water/coals I will mop the ribs with some sauce... this of course increases the cook time anytime you break that seal; but it can help keep the dryness at bay.

Oh and my favorite recipe to cook is my own version of this: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html
As I say my own version... all recipes you get from the net you should make your own with your own personal flavors (garlic and spices for me).

Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
friarjohn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just picked up a jar of dizzy pig dizzy dust course grind. I cant wait to pick up some ribs or a pork loin.

Quick Reply