Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Simple, cheap smoking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #21
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448 View Post
So I light the extra coals in a second chimney or something, and when they are hot, I pile them in?

yep, thats what i do.

I'm going to buy a charcoal smoker. Brinkman or something, about $80. What possible harm can come of it?
I think you will be very happy with it. Smoked meats are great. Hard to mess up pork, i'd start with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #22
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448 View Post
I'm going to buy a charcoal smoker. Brinkman or something, about $80. What possible harm can come of it?
The problem with the cheap rectangular Brinkmanns is the charcoal pan. It's literally just a porcelain coated pan, which doesn't allow enough air to reach the coals. In just a half hour or so, they ash up and smother themselves, which means you constantly have to open it up and stir the coals. Of course every time you open the door, heat escapes and compounds the problem.

I modified mine by drilling several holes in the pan, and placing a small round grate inside. (It was a Weber replacement rock grate.) This lifts the charcoal above the bottom of the pan so the ash has somewhere to fall, and allows air to come in from below. It's now MUCH easier to maintain the proper temperature without constant attention.

I also put a large paving stone in the bottom of the smoker, to provide some thermal mass. Seems to help.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #23
monty73741
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I would check wall mart.....the smokers are on sale at this time of the year. Also their is a big difference between HOT smoking & cold smoking. when you do BBQ it is hot smoking When you do bacon or fish perserving it is called cold smoking

Quick Reply