Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Show us your Sous Vide Cooker!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #81
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Well, I must say I'm impressed with how well this turned out. Nothing but beautiful medium rare juicy beefy melt in your mouth goodness! I can't wait to try this again. I know I have some boneless chicken breast in the freezer.
Sorry for the crappy pictures.

pizza-305.jpg   pizza-307.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #82
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Doesn't look crappy to me, it look exquisite!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #83
ChefRex
I once had a thought,
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2275 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 3494

Dam, this forum is expensive! As an avid cook i have read up on Sous Vide but have not attempted, tonight i ordered up a bunch of stuff to build a ghetto rig. I have a circulation pump coming on a slow boat from China so i have some time to work out a design and dig up a cooler.
Will post up a build as i go.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #84
Revvy

Recipes 

So has anyone played around with adding a layer of ping-pong balls as an insulator atop their sous vide? I keep seeing this show up on a few blogs and videos. This pic is from Nathan Myhrvold, the author of Modernist Cuisine's food lab;

Quote:
The Water Circulator
A circulator from Polyscience designed to maintain a water bath temperature to within a tenth of a degree. The ping pong balls floating on top serve as an insulator, helping the bath to maintain its temperature.
Oh yeah, if you want a cooking nerd woody, check out the entire slide show of their food "playground."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #85
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
So has anyone played around with adding a layer of ping-pong balls as an insulator atop their sous vide? I keep seeing this show up on a few blogs and videos. This pic is from Nathan Myhrvold, the author of Modernist Cuisine's food lab;

Oh yeah, if you want a cooking nerd woody, check out the entire slide show of their food "playground."
Well, since I broke my lid this may be an option.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #86
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
sometimes i think maybe i too should become a billionaire and devote all my time to mucking around with food in the best equipped chefs playground in the world...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #87
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
sometimes i think maybe i too should become a billionaire and devote all my time to mucking around with food in the best equipped chefs playground in the world...
Gee, and to think I thought I was the only one who had that fantasy!!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #88
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I made boneless chicken breast in my sv a couple times now. So moist and tender. Just fantastic.
I just now put a 4 lb. rump roast in for a 24 hr. soak. Can't wait!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #89
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

That seems a bit excessive to me. I mean really what difference would it make if the temp flucuated a degree or two. No one would ever be able to tell a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #90
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
That seems a bit excessive to me. I mean really what difference would it make if the temp flucuated a degree or two. No one would ever be able to tell a difference.
Evidently one of it's main functions is to limit evaporation of the water in long cooking times. Having done 24-48 hour sessions, I can attest to losing a lot of water every 6-8 hours, if cooking a large piece of protein it can be a problem, especially in my coffee urn setup. I've woken up and found only have the roast still submerged. I'm interested in trying it.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS