Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Show us your Sous Vide Cooker!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #71
TacoBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

See, there could be a use for doing it in your brew hardware like on one of the earlier posts where he was cooking up multiple racks of ribs. But, otherwise, it seems terribly efficient to use the whole setup for a steak or two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #72
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So this thread inspired me to break out the homebrew gear and try Sous Vide. I have not been brewing as I rebuild my brewery so the old temp control panel and the aeration pump were not getting any use.

Grab a nice fresh top sirloin to try for a first outing. Salt, pepper, a small bit of garlic powder, just a light mix of seasoning I put on all red meat, and I planned on throwing just a bit of fresh rosemary in the pouches.

Broke out the Hopsaver, I mean foodsaver, and sealed them up.

Slipped them into the crock pot filled with preheated water held at 131 degrees.

Temp dropped with I put the pouches in of course. Setup is my old temp and pump control panel set at 131, crock pot plugged into that on high, and my aeration pump bubbling in the pot for water circulation.

75 minutes later I had a perfect mid rare edge to edge. I pulled them from the pouches and tossed them in a near smoking preheated cast iron skillet to finish

Made a quick pan sauce/saute of baby portabella mushroom slices and served it with a baked potato and broccoli.

Final verdict... One of the best steaks I have ever made, very good first attempts. Nearly perfectly cooked, very tender, and very flavorful. I missed a little on the seasoning/herb/aromatics blend as the rosemary was just a bit too strong. Next time I will try a different blend and possibly a different cut of meat. I am sold on the method even after just this first attempt. I just need to dial in the recipe and flavor profile. Tomorrow I think it will be chicken for lunch.

Most importantly the wife loved it.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #73
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

J Kenzie Lopez-Alt at foodlab has done a lot of interesting experiments with sous-vide in terms of searing first vs searing after, using fats in the pouches to flavor transfer herbs, use of aromatics, etc. This article I linked is his primer on steaks, but search his blog for sous vide and you'll find he's done a lot of interesting things.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #74
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
J Kenzie Lopez-Alt at foodlab has done a lot of interesting experiments with sous-vide in terms of searing first vs searing after, using fats in the pouches to flavor transfer herbs, use of aromatics, etc. This article I linked is his primer on steaks, but search his blog for sous vide and you'll find he's done a lot of interesting things.
Ya, I found that site very helpful when I did mine. I chose to no fat in the pouch and sear after. Think I'm going to try again tonight and do a skirt steak.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #75
Revvy

Recipes 

I've got a pork loin I'm going to do sous vide tomorrow. I just made sort of a "pesto/tapanade" stuffing for it by beating the heck out of some anchovies, rosemary, green onions, roasted garlic, raw garlic, parsley, allspice berries, black olives sea salt, and juniper berries in a mortar and pestle til it was a green and amazingly fragrant paste. I butterflied the loin, spread the paste over the surface, rolled it and tied it up. I stuffed it into a vacuum bag and sealed it up. Tomorrow I'll do it for 2-3 hours at medium rare, then brown it up. Should be incredible.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #76
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I've got a pork loin I'm going to do sous vide tomorrow. I just made sort of a "pesto/tapanade" stuffing for it by beating the heck out of some anchovies, rosemary, green onions, roasted garlic, raw garlic, parsley, allspice berries, black olives sea salt, and juniper berries in a mortar and pestle til it was a green and amazingly fragrant paste. I butterflied the loin, spread the paste over the surface, rolled it and tied it up. I stuffed it into a vacuum bag and sealed it up. Tomorrow I'll do it for 2-3 hours at medium rare, then brown it up. Should be incredible.
what time are you serving this, and what's the closest airport?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #77
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Well dangit. I've had luck drilling holes in glass bottles before. I guess this lid was under some sort of tension? I had only started the edge of my hole when it popped. Anybody have an idea for a replacement lid? Super cheap. DIY is an option.

image-3873689665.jpg  

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #78
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I thought this would be a fun mid-winter project. I built a clone of Revvy's timer and am at this moment trying it out with a London Broil in a big crock pot.

pizza-298.jpg   pizza-297.jpg   pizza-299.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #79
Revvy

Recipes 

Be careful with the ziplocks they have failed on occassion. Some folks double bag.

But ziplocks aren't the only ones. I actually had a foodsaver go after an hour in the bath on Sunday. The only reason I noticed was that I started to actually something cooking, which in a sealed bag in a water bath, you shouldn't smell anything. But I started to notice a garlic/rosemary steam smell. I caught it in time and the dish came out fine.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #80
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Cool. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply