Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Show us your Sous Vide Cooker!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #31
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Looks awesome. I need to post my adventures last week making sous-vide pork belly confit....it was a 24 hour process, and came out simply amazing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #32
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

please do... i think i could live on pork belly and beer. screw fiber. had some 48 hour ribs last week made by a friend who built a prototype that he is trying to get into production, i need to get a dedicated cooker built!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #33
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
No one else?
Revvy, thanks for your showing your ingenious ugly junk/ghetto sous-vide cooker. As soon as I read your post I went and ordered an air pump and two cup warmers.
I received them yesterday and did some preliminary tests. I am happy to say that it works very well.
I took it a step further to increase the water circulation. I cut off a 1 foot section of 1-1/4" blow off tubing. I submerged the tubing in the water and inserted the air tubing inside one end. The bubbles created by the air pump will flow out of the other end pulling water with it and creating a pumping/siphon action, similar to the way an aquarium filter works.

I used 48qt. cooler so this works on a larger scale. Starting with water at 104°, I set my controller to 140° and it took 45 minutes to get the water up to temp.
As soon as I sort out the mounting details of the heating elements I am going to start cooking.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #34
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Let me tell you that this thread and another sous vide thread on HBT changed my life! I brought a crockpot to work and now eat like a king. Split chicken breast and steak has been on my regular menu. People are extremely jealous of my setup.
I don't have a temp controller or anything, I simply use my floating thermometer to check temp and I have a system down.

Bring the water to temp, put on low and leave lid off for steaks. Lid off on low maintains 135-140 and lid on while on low maintains 165-180 for chicken.

Love it. Thanks for enlightening me!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #35
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Tried out the Revvy inspired sous vide cooker tonight. We cooked a couple of New York strips and they turned out superb.
I used one of my fermentation temp controllers and a 48qt cooler.
Here is the gear I bought to complete the cooker.
Two NORPRO 559 Immersion Heaters and a Fusion Air Pump 500 Aquarium Air Pump

Out of the cartons.

To test it out I went simple. 1' of 1-1/4" blow off tubing, a 90º SS elbow, a 4" long piece of acrylic tubing and 4' of aquarium air tubing.

The elbow weights one side down and air keeps the other end at an angle to create the pumping action.

It's best to boil a pot of water to speed things up unless you have time to wait on the temp to build.

Steaks are in! Notice I turned the pump tube around to get better flow against the heating elements.

After one hour at 138º, medium rare, they are ready to come out.

Out of the bath.

Torches ain't just for welding.

Bon appetit.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #36
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Wow, Awesome.

Hey, everyone who's been taking my suggestion of using immersion heaters. I think the same caveat in the threads about using water heater elements in electric brewing setups apply. DON'T RUN THEM DRY....Don't lift your lid for example with them still running or they'll burn out. I've burned a couple them out, I guess that way. Luckily they're pretty cheap. Keep em wet when you have them going.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #37
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Wow, Awesome.

Hey, everyone who's been taking my suggestion of using immersion heaters. I think the same caveat in the threads about using water heater elements in electric brewing setups apply. DON'T RUN THEM DRY....Don't lift your lid for example with them still running or they'll burn out. I've burned a couple them out, I guess that way. Luckily they're pretty cheap. Keep em wet when you have them going.
This true, they will instantly burn out of taken out of the water. Always unplug them first!

I plan on making a float for the two heaters so they will always be submerged at the correct level.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #38
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I use my E-HERMS HLT and MLT to do the trick... I didn't want to have the plastic right next to the heating element so I recirculated a few gallons through the HERMS coil and back on top of the steak. Even an el-cheapo Wal-Mart steak came out as tender as could be! I LIKE this method of cooking steak! I ended up letting it sit in the water for 2 hours. I just set the MLT controller to something like 134*F and let it go.

My Brewery:

Steak In the MLT:

Cooked Steak:

Finishing off with torch:

Final Pairing:

Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #39
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

"Finished" my controller this afternoon. This is a temporary housing. I need something cooler. MYPIN TA-7, SSR, $5 goodwill crock pot, aquarium pump.

image-3178465466.jpg  

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #40
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Going again today. Beef tenderloin.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply

Newest Threads