Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Show us your Sous Vide Cooker!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2447 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

I have not used one yet, but I tested my Ebay temp controller with our crock pot and it worked well. I planned to use either that crock pot or a SS kettle on a hot plate I have out in the garage. I really should give the sous vide thing a try. Soaking chips for a pork shoulder right now, so it might be a few days before I run out of Pulled Pork. Well, I could maybe sneak one test cook in while the pork is cooking. Usually takes about 24 hours or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I have not used one yet, but I tested my Ebay temp controller with our crock pot and it worked well. I planned to use either that crock pot or a SS kettle on a hot plate I have out in the garage. I really should give the sous vide thing a try. Soaking chips for a pork shoulder right now, so it might be a few days before I run out of Pulled Pork. Well, I could maybe sneak one test cook in while the pork is cooking. Usually takes about 24 hours or so.
That's the one thing I've yet to attempt, anything long and slow. It's hard living alone to think about cooking anything that big I guess. I end up wasting food as it is.

Hey bro, as I'm posting this I'm in St. Ignace on a hotel deck overlooking Mackinac Island. We're doing a vintage base ball tourney tomorrow on the lawn in front of the Grand Hotel.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As proof of concept I did a prime rib in a large crock pot of water using my fermenter controller (eBay aquarium one) and it was awesome! It was medium rare from end to end, then just browned it under the broiler. Time to finish constructing the bigger one...

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
...I tested my Ebay temp controller with our crock pot and it worked well...
Whoa, please elaborate...you just stick the STC temp probe in the crock pot? How do you keep it sealed?

Old 07-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

These temp controllers are for aquarium setups. The probe is water tight and since I'm not going to drink the water I don't care about leaching.

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Sure, but how do you keep the crock pot sealed? Suppose it doesn't really matter if it can hold the temp.

Chest freezer's getting unplugged so I can make dinner tonight.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2447 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
That's the one thing I've yet to attempt, anything long and slow. It's hard living alone to think about cooking anything that big I guess. I end up wasting food as it is.

Hey bro, as I'm posting this I'm in St. Ignace on a hotel deck overlooking Mackinac Island. We're doing a vintage base ball tourney tomorrow on the lawn in front of the Grand Hotel.
That is so cool! I'd love to check out a game some time.

I never have a problem finding people to eat the pulled pork. And a few pounds of shoulder or butt is pretty cheap when it comes right down to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Sure, but how do you keep the crock pot sealed? Suppose it doesn't really matter if it can hold the temp.

Chest freezer's getting unplugged so I can make dinner tonight.
During my test I did not seal the probe wire tight, I just let the lid sit on top of it. It was fine.

I never thought about just using ziplocks. My sealer is on the fritz so I put off trying this method, but now I might go ahead and give it a go. Not tonight though. Wife says it's an order in night. There goes the diet...

Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:

I never thought about just using ziplocks. My sealer is on the fritz so I put off trying this method, but now I might go ahead and give it a go. Not tonight though. Wife says it's an order in night. There goes the diet...
J. Kenji López-Alt at foodlab/serious eats gave me the idea. His cooking articles in general and the sous vide ones in particular are great. Here's the baggie one.

If anyone wants them his complete sous-vide articles are here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

blakelyc Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 AM   #19
blakelyc
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I was just mentioning kenji on another thread. That guy is crazy smart and his sous vide recipes are flawless. I have done his pork belly process a couple of times and it gets consistently awesome comments. I cold-called serious eats about a job since I hate mine and I work in digital media. They don't have anything available now, but I hope to have created a good contact with the gm.

I was lucky enough to get a sous vide supreme unit for Christmas last year. I think it may have been a preemptive strike to prevent me from trying to hack something together

Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #20
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I just started messing around with this.

Did a simple sous vide with boneless skin on chicken thighs seasoned with SPG on the stove top with my brew kettle. I kept the water at 150* and cooked for 2 hours, then used a torch for some flavor. The meat was good enough that I will experiment further, though the skin would have been better grilled or pan seared. A couple of our Wolfdogs made the skin disapear

So I have a couple of these lying around

http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Group-...ds=soup+warmer

They range from around $88 up to $125 on Amazon. We got ours at Costco for like $90 6 or 7 years ago for our deli. I am doing a table to see how well they hold temperature and time. I will try to update as I go along. I am willing to bet any used restaraunt supply store or craigslist will have a couple of these or something similar lying about for cheep. Restaraunt steam tables would probably work to. We had a couple of those and got rid of them

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS