Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Show us your Sous Vide Cooker!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #131
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

2-day ribs! 1 whole pork top rack (halved to fit in better) rubbed with pimenton smoked paprika, cooked at 55c with some bbq sauce. here's my cool invention, for those like me (ie most of us) who have non-chamber vacuum sealers and forgot to freeze the sauce in advance, take a tip from wyeast and make a smack pack! get a cheapy sandwich bag and fill with sauce/marinde, tie it off. vac the meat together with the bag, then smack it, spread it out. these ribs are now in my speidel braumeister to be flash barbequed in two days!! pics and boasting to follow...

dsc_9781.jpg   dsc_9782.jpg   dsc_9783.jpg   dsc_9785.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #132
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
Here's my cool invention, for those like me (ie most of us) who have non-chamber vacuum sealers and forgot to freeze the sauce in advance, take a tip from wyeast and make a smack pack! get a cheapy sandwich bag and fill with sauce/marinde, tie it off. vac the meat together with the bag, then smack it, spread it out. these ribs are now in my speidel braumeister to be flash barbequed in two days!! pics and boasting to follow...
OH MY GOD!!!!! THAT IS FREAKING BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could use little ziplock sammich bags even, which should pop really easily. I even have some really mall ziplock bags, 2.5 inches wide I think, that I store small things in, and also freeze the leftover small cans of chipotles in adobo or tomato paste in.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #133
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Sorry for being a noob....is there a get started guide? Thanks!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #134
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3n00b View Post
Sorry for being a noob....is there a get started guide? Thanks!
What do you mean by a "get started" guide?
How to make a ghetto one like we did? If that's the case, this thread is the best out there, and it's pretty self explanatory- You use a temp controller to power something that can heat water, seal your food in bags, cook at the desired length of time, then usually brown whatever to get the maillard reaction.

How to cook sous-vide? I like J Kenzie Alt-Lopez's various write ups on Serious Eats That's what I first used to get started...

...from there start googling, and read, read read. There's a ton of info to be found out there, I usually google "sous vide XXXXX" with XXXXX being whatever I want to cook, and that nets me some good articles.

Have fun

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #135
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
What do you mean by a "get started" guide? How to cook sous-vide?

I like J Kenzie Alt-Lopez's various write ups on Serious Eats

How to make a ghetto one like we did? If that's the case, this thread is the best out there, and it's pretty self explanatory- You use a temp controller to power something that can heat water, seal your food in bags, cook at the desired length of time, then usually brown whatever to get the maillard reaction.

...from there start googling, and read, read read.
Thanks man! Did more research and I'm going to try this super ghetto method with a steak and a boneless chx brst today. Obviously I have to have a lot hotter water for the chicken.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...998339&index=0
Old 07-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #136
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
OH MY GOD!!!!! THAT IS FREAKING BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could use little ziplock sammich bags even, which should pop really easily. I even have some really mall ziplock bags, 2.5 inches wide I think, that I store small things in, and also freeze the leftover small cans of chipotles in adobo or tomato paste in.
thanks! i was pretty pleased with myself, was just running out the door when i realized i forgot to get the ribs going, it just came to me in a flash. yeah those ziploc bags for weed or numismatics would probably work great.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #137
dinnerstick
Recipes 

these was goood! as the weather was nice (for once in this maritime drizzleland of a climate) i took the mini-weber to the park to show off my vacuum bags to the minions. the ribs were so fricking tender!! could cut them with a spoon, but the racks held together fine on the grill. then all the meat magically fell off the bone at the right moment. threw on a couple bratwurst as well, why not.

riyob.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #138
Revvy

Recipes 

Has anyone done a 12 hour steak yet? I'm thinking of setting one up to do at some point this week for the heck of it. I've been reading about 55 degrees C for 12 hours.

Also also has anyone tried to stuff a pork chop, bad it and water bath it, then brown?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #139
DamonInATL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
...take a tip from wyeast and make a smack pack!
Good sir, I hereby award you some sort of medal that expresses the sheer ingenuity of that idea.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #140
ippikiokami
Recipes 

This forum is amazing! I just bought most of the parts recommended but I have some questions about the water pump. I see most people talk about a cheap one from petsmart etc but when I researched on the web a lot of people complained about them melting. Has anyone found one that is good at sous vide temps ? Are just air pumps enough?

Quick Reply