Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Show us your Sous Vide Cooker!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #91
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Evidently one of it's main functions is to limit evaporation of the water in long cooking times. Having done 24-48 hour sessions, I can attest to losing a lot of water every 6-8 hours, if cooking a large piece of protein it can be a problem, especially in my coffee urn setup. I've woken up and found only have the roast still submerged. I'm interested in trying it.
Ok, that makes sense then. I think I would still rather get a piece of expanded foam insualtion and cut it to fit instead. I would imagine it would probably work better and it would be cheaper and easier to store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #92
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I picked up a little giant mini pond pump at the hardware store the other day... I tested it last night in a large bowl of really hot water. Worked GREAT! That little pump really gets the water circulating! I plan to build yet another temp controller for household use. Geesh... I'm getting carried away controlling temp on everything in my house! haha! Funny thing is, I have an aquarium and there is not a controller on it! lol...
Anyway. I am trying to decide if I want to build this temp controller for the SV cooker (crockpot) from a eBay Aquarium controller or if I want to get all "gnat's - a$$" precise and use a PID. Anybody have any input?

Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #93
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
I picked up a little giant mini pond pump at the hardware store the other day... I tested it last night in a large bowl of really hot water. Worked GREAT! That little pump really gets the water circulating! I plan to build yet another temp controller for household use. Geesh... I'm getting carried away controlling temp on everything in my house! haha! Funny thing is, I have an aquarium and there is not a controller on it! lol...
Anyway. I am trying to decide if I want to build this temp controller for the SV cooker (crockpot) from a eBay Aquarium controller or if I want to get all "gnat's - a$$" precise and use a PID. Anybody have any input?
In my opinion there is no sense in the extra time and money to make it extra precise. What difference does a degree or two really make?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 02-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #94
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Good point Data... I could also re-purpose this controller to control a small blower motor on my UDS smoker. I will have to install a thermowell, but that won't be to hard. Oh the possibilities!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #95
ipsiad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For those using submersible fountain pumps for recirculation, has anyone had problems with the pumps dying from running at these high temp for long periods of time? Right now for sous vide I just use a crock pot with temp controller, but I want to set up a big cooler for cooking large cuts/quantities of meat using a heat stick and submersible pump. All the cheap submersible fountain pumps I've seen are only supposed to run at temps up to 105F or so - running it for 18 hours at 170F seems like a tough job for a $20 pump. But hey, if it works it works!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #96
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco
Good point Data... I could also re-purpose this controller to control a small blower motor on my UDS smoker. I will have to install a thermowell, but that won't be to hard. Oh the possibilities!
I'll be waiting for that thread. I have lusted over the Pit Viper products but can't justify that money. If I understand correctly they use 3 probes? Near the fire, cook surface, and in the meat? The first 2 I'm sure are borderline redundant and just tighten up overshoot/undershoot. The third would just by a meat thermometer, unless they do a ramp down to stay warm after reaching temp. How much concern is there over blowing ash around?

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #97
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
I'll be waiting for that thread. I have lusted over the Pit Viper products but can't justify that money. If I understand correctly they use 3 probes? Near the fire, cook surface, and in the meat? The first 2 I'm sure are borderline redundant and just tighten up overshoot/undershoot. The third would just by a meat thermometer, unless they do a ramp down to stay warm after reaching temp. How much concern is there over blowing ash around?
Yeah, there is a lot to think through.
As far as ash being blown... I plan on using a VERY low volume fan. Not anything like a hair dryer volume, just a slight input.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #98
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Well I just bought another temp controller to build a sous vide cooker. Now I need to find a cheap crock pot and an aquarium pump and we'll be good to go!!

Secondary EMTPY

Kegged Bourbon Barrel Milk Stout, Vanilla Porter

Bottled Skeeter Pee, Apfelwein

Coming Soon English Brown Ale, Double Chocolate Stout, Mojave Red

BackDraught Home Brewery
Follow on Twitter @backdraughtbrew
Email us at backdraughtbrewing@gmail.com
Revvy Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #99
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738 View Post
Well I just bought another temp controller to build a sous vide cooker. Now I need to find a cheap crock pot and an aquarium pump and we'll be good to go!!
Salvation army/goodwill for the crock pot, and petsmart for the cheepest generic 20 dollar pump.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #100
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1559 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 2656

This is my setup, old cooler , a diesel 1500w antifreeze heater, standard aquarium heater controller setup and a 5volt pump off of ebayhttp://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=109040&stc=1&d=1363741 153
I have been experimenting with mashing in it, thats 5+lbs of grains in a 2.5 gallon ziplock, beers have been very nice.
Also this is the best way to prepare chicken breasts, moist and juicy!

dscf0032.jpg  

Quick Reply