Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Show us your Sous Vide Cooker!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Brewing Clamper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Show us your Sous Vide Cooker!

I'm working on mine now and I have (I think) all the parts but I'd love to see what you all have come up with. I know some of you are using HLTs for double duty. So I want to see some pics!!

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've been meaning to put together a thread on my ugly junk/ghetto sous-vide cooker, but I've been too busy. So I'll debut it here.

It may look like crap, but it works great, like any true ugly junk should.

Mine's really simple, the cooler I haul beer around in, a pink foam lid, two oldschool immersion water heater coils, an aquarium pump with an airstone, a DIY thermowell (made with a rigid plumbing tube, some tinfoil and aquarium silicone) to hold the temp probe from my ebay temp controller, an extra thermometer, and a piece of broken racking cane to hold the airstone in place.

here's what it looks like under the hood. I made a lid with 2 pieces of 1/2" pink foam glued together with my favorite adhesive Elephant glue.

I was worried that the aeration stone would just float at the top of the water, and I had a broken mini autosphon lying around. I cut a piece off the bottom and used that to hold it rigidly in place.

The part inside the outer tube.

The heater coils, although I always start with hot tap water in the cooler, I have done tests and the two coils are more than enough to take the waterbath from cold water to cooking temps pretty fast, iirc it was about 1/2 hour to go from cold tap to 130F.

The Ebay temp controller I use to run it, which if you've looked at some of my other threads, I've used this version for a lot of things,. This none is perfect for my sous-vide because it has an always on socket, which I plug the aquarium bubbler into.

A close up of how I've finally figured out how to seal my ghetto thermowell. Basically I fill the bottom with 100% silicone for aquariums which is food safe, then seal it with some tinfoil and paint on some more silicone over the tinfoil to seal it.

My thermowells start out as a 2 dollar rigid supply line from Home Depot. I just use a pipe cutter to cut them down, and seal them as mentioned before.

I've been cooking just about everything in it lately, and then browning in my cast iron grill pan.

Had I not wanted to keep using the cooler for beer (which I might get another one for that) I would have just punctured the lid for all my holes. But I also have a ton of 1/2" pink foam lying around from my keezer build, so I just made a lid with that.

The thing is, it appears to hold heat better with the pink stuff, than the original lid. I cooked some pork chops 48 hours ago. And just now when I lifted the lid to photograph it, the water was still warm.

I've just been doing the slowly lower the 1 gallon opened ziplock bag into the water and seal after it forces the air out of the bags method. I don't have a food saver yet but this has worked for me.

Chicken Breasts with lemon and thyme.

Brined 1" pork chops with garlic and rosemary

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

No one else?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 548 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Everyone else is still drooling over yours Revvy, haha. Nice job.

Mine is just my mash tun. No modifications whatsoever. Also using the ziploc method, works like a champ.

Here's where I started:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/c...vide-hack.html

Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
ipsiad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't have pics at the moment, but I have 2 sous vide cookers. One is a big slow cooker with my spare Johnson temperature controller, and the other one is a bucket with hot tap water slowly drizzling into it. The latter I use primarily for steaks/roasts as my hot water comes out at 128°F, which for me is perfect.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I just use my boil kettle, I add about 3" of water over the top of meat, and set the controller.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

This is really interesting. I need to look into this.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How necessary is the bubbler? I know it's to keep the water moving and thus a more consistent to throughout, but is it crucial?

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewing Clamper
How necessary is the bubbler? I know it's to keep the water moving and thus a more consistent to throughout, but is it crucial?
Without the water moving I found that there was inconsistent temps even in such a small vessel. I would move the temp probe before it was in the thermowell, or my loose thermometer and the temps would be all over the place. Testing it with the bubbler on and the temp is the same all over.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
fpweeks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

rhis looks interesting......my HLT is controlleed by a pid, so my cooker is done i guess. i am still mastering the big green egg technique and now you guys throw this at me....

Quick Reply