Rustic Italian Bread With Spent Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibrewaletx

Reaction score
Just another bread recipe.

A copy of my blog post:

After saving a couple of cups of spent grains from my Czech Dark Lager (Tmave Vycepni), my wife decided to try to put them to the best use possible by incorporating them into a nice bread that would go well with her Beef Bourguignon that she treats me with a few times a year. This bread turned out perfect in my opinion. A nice medium size crust that had a perfect hardness to it, and a soft middle that had a nice texture thanks to the spent barley.

1/2 Cup Warm Water (for yeast)
2.5 Tbsp yeast
1 tsp sugar

6.5 Cups sifted bread flower
1 tbs salt
2 Cups Warm Water
1 cup of spent grain
Rise the yeast in the 1/2 cup of warm water and 1 tsp of sugar.
Using a mixer (you can do by hand as well but much more work) with a dough hook, mix 3 Cups of the bread flour, salt and slowly and the yeast mixture.
Slowly add the rest of the bread flour and the warm water, adding the spent grains just before the last of the warm water.
Beat the dough 5-10 minutes once fully combined. The longer you beat, the better for the gluten distribution.
Place the dough in a warm location and cover with a towel.
Let the dough rise (double in size) and then punch down and knead for a short period of time.
Let the dough rise again, once doubled knead and divide into two loaves.
Let these rise until doubled.
Glaze with egg whites, and make a slice down the middle of each loaf with a sharp knife.
Bake at 375F for 20 minutes and glaze again with an egg wash. It is useful to have a pan of water in the over underneath the bread while baking which help with the crust.
Bake for another 20 minutes, glaze again.
Bake for 10 more minutes or until lightly browned.

rustic italian bread finished.jpg

rustic italian bread dough.jpg

Back