Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Revvy's Jamaican Spiced Banana rum Bread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default Revvy's Jamaican Spiced Banana rum Bread

Soperbrew on Chat today wanted me to post my recipe. I started doing mini loaves of this last year to give as "gifts" to my co-workers, and to bring to holiday parties. It was such a hit last year that I got requests to do it again. I just finished baking about 30 loaves today and will probably bake another 20-30 next week as well. I would have done it all today, BUT I cleaned out every nearly ripe banana in the grocery store last week, and today all the ones when I went back were way green.

A Few Notes Beforehand.

1) Stick your bananas in a brown paper bag for a few days and they will ripen pretty fast.

2) I use my nephew's Banana wine in this recipe, but you can use banana liqueur instead, or say screw it and double up on the spiced rum.

3) Use the cheapest Spiced rum you can find. I used Castillo brand. You will pretty much burn through an entire fifth on this recipe if you plan on making several batches, especially if you decide to play "1 shot for the batter, 1 shot for the baker" while making it.

4) You can "marinade" the breads in the rum later by putting some in a shallow pan and dipping them, BUT it's much easier if you use a spray bottle instead.

5) If you can spray them a couple times with the rum over the period of a few days or weeks before sealing them in cling wrap and tinfoil they will be even better, as they "age" a bit, and the booze penetrates into the bread, but they are awesome as they are.

6) You can do this by hand but it's a bitch, an electric beater or a stand mixer makes it a heck of a lot easier. I just got a vintage stand mixer this summer for 20 bucks at a garage sale, and it was a godsend.

7) If you are making multiple batches, loaves, don't bother cleaning out the mixer bowl, just keep dumping the ingredients in when the bowl is empty, and each batch will be a little more complex.

Ok, enough nonsense, lets get on with the show!

Revvy's Jamaican Spiced Banana Rum Bread

(Makes 10 mini loaves)

Preheat mash tun...erm I mean oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients

Mini Tinfoil Bread Pans
Pam Baking Style Cooking Spray

(wet side)
5-6 large ripened bananas mashed
2 sticks softened butter
3 1/3 cups sugar.
1/2 cup sour creme (Or plain or vanilla yogurt)
5 eggs
1/4 cup Banana Wine, or banana liquer
1/4 cup Spiced Rum
(Or if banana wine/liquer is unavailable, use 1/2 cup of Spiced Rum.)

In mixer cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and sour cream. Fold in mashed bananas. Pour in rum and banana wine. Mix at medium speed until well blended, once well blended raise the speed and whip the ingredients until frothy (about 2-3 minutes.)

(dry side)
In a separate bowl mix together;

5 cups flour
3 3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp allspice

With mixer running slowly, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones until well mixed.

Spray the baking tins with PAM and set on baking sheet. Fill each tin half way with bread mixture. (I use an ice cream scoop, and find that 4 1/2 scoops is about half way.)

Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes or until a toothpick pulls away cleanly from center of loaf.

When cool, spritz generously with rum in spray bottle (of partially fill a baking pan and quickly dunk each side in rum.)

Wrap in plastic wrap. If possible Spritz them over the course of several days. The wrap tightly in plastic wrap (tape may be needed) and then again with tinfoil.

If you feel creative you CAN wrap each loaf after with wrapping paper, but I usually just slap a ribbon and gift tag on them and say the hell with it.

Enjoy.

FYI, the banana wine I used was made by my nephew who was the vitner of his homebrew/winemaking club. You could always make your own. Yooper has a recipe on here;

Yooper's wine recipe.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
Revvy

Recipes 

Today's grand total 47 mini loaves of rum soaked goodness!!!

I decided to try to "bulk condition" them over night. I spritzed each of them with rum, then placed them all in a sanitized garbage bag. I squeezed out the air, and clipped it closed. They should hopefully be nice and mositly rummy by the time I wrap them on Monday night.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

I just checked on them in the bag, they are really moist. I'm going to wrap them up now after giving them another spray of rum and banan wine mixed together.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This sounds pretty dang good Revvy. Unfortunately I'm taking a break from drinking(NOT BREWING!)/eating bad for health reasons, so it may be a while till I make this recipe, but I'm definitely gonna save it!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Thanks!!!

I just realized that time of year is here, and I have to start baking them. *groan*

Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

sounds great - definitely will be trying this.
thanks

simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2126 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

Hells YEAH! This is JUST the sort of recipe I needed to wow the family and friends! I'm on a low carb diet, and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Can't wait until the holidays to cheat on my diet!

Old 11-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
HeavyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK, I'm gonna be the one to ask for the Banana wine recipe.. Willing to share it?! I got a bunch of ripe bananas waiting to do something.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds really good! Must try.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyBrew View Post
OK, I'm gonna be the one to ask for the Banana wine recipe.. Willing to share it?! I got a bunch of ripe bananas waiting to do something.
Sorry I don't have the recipe, I didn't make the wine. The banana wine I used was made by my nephew who was the vitner of his homebrew/winemaking club. he hasn't made wine in a couple years much to the chagrin of my family. But I have 1 bottle left. I think Yooper has a recipe on here.

Yes she does;

Yooper's wine recipe.

Quick Reply