Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > REAL Philly Steak Sandwich

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
andypantz13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Was going through old topics looking for recipes and saw this and had to weigh in.

First off, nice recipe Yuri, pretty much the same thing I do when I make one at home.

Geno's over Pat's, although both skate by on reputation now. Last time I was at Rick's in the Reading Terminal that was very good, got one in case they ended up closing and I wouldn't have had another chance.

And as a fantastic alternative, get a chix cheesesteak from Iscrabibble's on South St. nice juicy chunks of chicken, and probably the best fries of any of the famous cheesesteak places.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #22
adx

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Cheese (choose one):
Cheese Whiz (yes, the Whiz!)
Provolone
White American
Mozzarella
NOT Swiss or Cheddar!
Wow! Only the Whiz is an acceptable answer when it comes to an authentic Philly.

However, I prefer white American

Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #23
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My wife is from Jersey and man Cheese steaks are serious buisiness with her. I do have to say she has spoiled me and unless we are in jersey I wont order them any where.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #24
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

+1 on Jim's, but my favorite is Gaetano's in Mount Laurel where I grew up, they make a mean cheesesteak.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #25
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I was reading the latest issue of GUY MAGAZINE SUPREMO ULTIMATE (Maxim or FHM or something else that is totally worthless...it was at my friend's place, honest) a guy did a tour of Philly Cheesesteaks. Out of 5 I think...Pat's and Geno's were dead tied for worst.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #26
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

jim's on south street is class. for the jersey side of the river, italia pizzeria in bellmawr, NJ was the best all round in my view, but i'm not native so what do i know! the place burned down but apparently the family have another place in audubon or mt ephraim.

there's supposed to be a great place in camden, can't recall the name, that does cheesesteaks on round rolls - heresy for the purist but supposed to be very good

Old 02-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #27
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A quick tour of Philly's cheesesteak joints:
Pat's & Geno's are both at the low end of the spectrum, but if you're a tourist and/or you're piss drunk, go for it. It's still 10x better than any cheesesteak you've had before if you've never been to this area.
Jim's is pretty good.
Tony Luke's is good.
Steve's Prince Of Steaks is good.
Don't be afraid to take a chance on a diner, bar, or "lunch truck"... many of them will surprise you. If you see the word "Amoroso's" anywhere, that's a good sign. (They make the rolls most of the good steak joints use. Sarcone's rolls are even better, but not nearly as common.)

Other notes:
The atmosphere pretty much blows at all the cheesesteak joints. That's part of the charm.
I hate Cheez Whiz, and so do most other Philadelphians, contrary to the rumors. Some vendors try to propagate the rumors that "wiz" is the preferred "cheese" because it helps their bottom line to use some nasty food-like substance with infinite shelf life, rather than real cheese.
Provolone or American are the way to go on a plain cheesesteak.
Mozzarella is allowed on pizza cheese steaks.
Fried onions, peppers, "sauce" (pizza sauce, basically), and DIY ketchup are all acceptable toppings.
I can't really think of anything else other than salt & pepper that you should be putting on a cheesesteak if you want to avoid ridicule and possible bodily harm.
When it comes to ordering, if there's a long line behind you, just be quick about it. The simpler your order is, the better your steak is going to taste, anyway.

Despite the large portions and excessive greasiness, you will be amazed at how you don't immediately **** yourself, and you can still pound beer after beer right after stuffing your gullet with a big cheesesteak and fries. It's an exceptional "base" meal.

Lager is a good drink with your cheesesteak, as it's usually about the best beer you'll find at these dumps. Better to save your money and go to one of our fine pubs or gastropubs. Just shove the hipsters out of your way or you'll never get service.

If you have a hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket, you can get the Kobe cheese steak at Barclay Prime--but there are much better things on the menu there (just be prepared to spend a lot.)

For a truly great steak, I recommend D'allessandro's, but it's a bit out of the way for most people.

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Old 02-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #28
Chris K
Recipes 

ahh cheesesteaks!

when in delco, i go to Walts Steaks in Clifton Heights. Family run joint. Cheap prices, and the only place i will order a "Pizza Steak" because, unlike other steak shops, it aint sloppy. just the right amount of sauce and cheese. a true delight.

when in south philly....i would choose Tony Luc's, then Jim's for tase, but for gimmick effect there is no disputing Pat's. While attending college (Temple U) i lived 1block from Pats/Geno's on the 800 block of Wharton. Man what a clinic in wierd. I would have early 8am classes and would have to walk right past both to get the broad street subway to school. without fail, every morning at 7:30 am you would see people there drinking coffee and eating a cheeze with, or wizz with...depending which way i would walk to school. every hour of the day, both geno's and pats had clientelle. strange days. it was during this time that i ate the most cheasesteaks in the 2yrs that i lived there, than i probably have before and since.

back on topic...i was working in marlton nj, and although gaetano's steaks as someone posted above were very good, my vote would have to go to pizza fresca and thier cheese steak special...great roll with steak, cheese, roasted tri-coloerd peppers, mushrooms, onions and pepperoni....absolutely heaven...and a cardiologists nightmare i am sure!

dang...i'm hungry!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #29
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
I was reading the latest issue of GUY MAGAZINE SUPREMO ULTIMATE (Maxim or FHM or something else that is totally worthless...it was at my friend's place, honest) a guy did a tour of Philly Cheesesteaks. Out of 5 I think...Pat's and Geno's were dead tied for worst.
Yeah we went there late one night a few years ago. We went on because all of the hype we'd heard. Meh. Steak and bread with hardly any flavor imho. SWMBO was really underwhelmed and was like "Uh I don't get it". My sentiments exactly.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #30
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K
Man what a clinic in wierd.
Yeah when we were there we kept seeing stretch limos pull up.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply