Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > putting home made salsa in a beer bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i'm just gonna give it to a few friends, and i'll just tell them it has to be refrigerated. as far as being a PITA to pour out, it's really easy. it's super thin salsa, everything was puree'd in the blender. just some tomatoes, onions, LOTS of habeneros, calantro, jalalpano's, cyanne peppers, and just various seasonings like garlic, salt, sugar, pepper, etc. it's only a salsa to hardcore heat lovers, most of my friends will use it sparingly to spice up other salsa, foods, etc.

my bar build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #12
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian williams
i'm just gonna give it to a few friends, and i'll just tell them it has to be refrigerated. as far as being a PITA to pour out, it's really easy. it's super thin salsa, everything was puree'd in the blender. just some tomatoes, onions, LOTS of habeneros, calantro, jalalpano's, cyanne peppers, and just various seasonings like garlic, salt, sugar, pepper, etc. it's only a salsa to hardcore heat lovers, most of my friends will use it sparingly to spice up other salsa, foods, etc.
Cool. Just make sure everything is clean clean before you bottle it so you don't get anything funky going on (yeasts, molds...things other than Botulism which is present in foods occassionally just not active). How long it will stay good like that (refridgerated in a bottle) for will greatly depend on how you handle the food and equipment before you bottle it and how quickly you get it cooled and stored. Still though, one word of caution is if this is a fresh (not cooked) salsa then you aren't garaunteed against fairly rapid spoilage even if you're careful. One way to help combat some common food spoliage microflora is to increase the salt and acid levels.

Another word of caution....

Botulism spores produce nasty toxins and it only takes a very small amount (a mouthfull of infected food is sufficient) to hospitalize or kill. I'd also advise the recipients to open and use the salsa within a short time of receiving it, as you don't want them to tuck it away and open it in say three months.

Sorry if this is a long read, but Botulism is real:

current outbreak

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Sorry for the hijack. And I don't mean to be a Chicken Little... but....

What keeps botulism from spreading in beer?

Old 07-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #14
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
Sorry for the hijack. And I don't mean to be a Chicken Little... but....

What keeps botulism from spreading in beer?
Doh, missed this...

I believe the main preventative is that the pH of most (if not all) finished beer falls below 4.6, which is the lower cut-off level before Botulism can grow. Above 4.6 and you enter the danger zone so-to-speak.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply