Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Prime Rib advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Prime Rib advice...

So Ralph's has a sale on bone-in USDA Choice ribeye roasts for $4.88/lb. I can't pass that up! I bought about a six-pounder.

But I'm conflicted on how to prepare it...

My wife doesn't like medium rare, and doesn't generally like ribeye due to the high fat content. And even if she did like it, 6# of meat is too much for our family, as our oldest child (6yo) isn't exactly going to make much of a dent in it.

So I can go one of two ways:

1. Freeze it and save it for a dinner party. I'd probably then smoke it, saving the "end cuts" for the people who don't like medium rare.
  2. Slice it into individual steaks, vacuum-seal & freeze them, and keep them for myself. Grilled or sous vide, I'll bet I can make some damn fine meat. This could also be used for a dinner party, but won't have the same "presentation value" as a nice big roast.

Thoughts? Am I missing any good things to do with this?

And should I go get another?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
benco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

If it was mine. I would cook the whole thing, assuming you have a decent oven. Eat what you want, and vacuum seal the rest or do it for a dinner party.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
cervid
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ive never had the best luck smoking beef for a long time. It tends to get rubbery in my experience. Also, I'd never cook a prime rib roast past rare in the center. The end pieces will be more well done for those who don't like it.

One way I have cooked roasts that always works well, especially with tough cuts is to cook at 500 for 7 minutes a pound, the turn the oven off and let it sit in there for 2.5 hours. Never open the oven, and it comes out perfect. If you want it more well done do 8 or even dare to do 9 minutes a pound at 500.

You could also use a cast iron grate and sear it over a BBQ with something like cherry chips and finish in the oven.

At that price, buying another to cuts for steaks isn't a bad idea, but I just love rare roasts with a crispy, seared crust.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervid View Post
One way I have cooked roasts that always works well, especially with tough cuts is to cook at 500 for 7 minutes a pound, the turn the oven off and let it sit in there for 2.5 hours. Never open the oven, and it comes out perfect. If you want it more well done do 8 or even dare to do 9 minutes a pound at 500.
I've got a remote meat thermometer, so I can base my cook on temp rather than time...

But based on some youtube search, I'm thinking ginormous cowboy ribeye steaks is the way to go. I think this is a 3-bone roast, so we'd be talking some seriously massive steaks. Invite two more couples over, buy some filet mignon for the womenfolk, and each of the boys can have a serious piece of cow!

Old 12-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Smoke it! Best Prime Rib I've ever had was smoked meat.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So I was mistaken. It was only 2 bones. So I've got a nice-sized ribeye and two gigantic cowboy ribeyes...

1387604371705.jpg  

Old 12-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
cervid
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I glanced over the bone in part.. We get those to grill up here as cowboys or tomahawks.

That recipe I gave you is how a lot of chefs do it. After you get comfortable with roasts, you don't really need a thermometer. If you do it that way, you don't want to cook the meat until it's done. You're searing it, and relying on the residual heat to cook, and hold it, to temp for a while over that two and a half hour rest. It turns eye of round into an edible piece of meat. Rib eyes are like butter. You wouldn't hit internal temp until an hour our so after the heat was turned off. Those times wouldn't apply to a bone in roast anyway, though.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1265 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Grill it whole!

Old 12-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 717 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervid

This is how I'd do it too. Helps to put a sign on the oven handle saying something like "Open-a my oven, and I break-a you face.". People will be tempted to open the oven. Let them know that swift justice will follow if they do.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I am a huge fan of the reverse sear on the smoker. I start the kettle indirect at 225 with one or two fist sized chunks of your choice of wood, till the meat has an IT of 113-115 (it finishes at med rare after it goes back on the kettle and carryover), remove meat from kettle, then start two batches of charcoal separated with a gap in the middle of the kettle, ramp it to nuclear. Return meat to kettle for 5-10 min till you get crust to your liking. I only use S&P, or montreal steak, simple works for my fam.

more-prime-rib-prep-5.jpg   more-prime-rib-prep-6.jpg   more-prime-rib-prep-7.jpg  
On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Quick Reply