Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Polish Pierogi

I'm Polish but don't like most traditional Polish food except for Kielbasa and Kraut and Pierogi. I'm lucky enough to have a family recipe that was passed down for at least 10 generations. It's really simple and cheap but labor intensive.

Fillings:

Potato and Cheese:
5lbs potatos boiled as if you were making simple mashed potatos, but add nothing but salt. Mash them and add a 1lb of your favorite shredded cheese. I like to mix yellow cheddar and munster. Mix until blended. You can also mix in some diced and sauteed onions if you like, but drain all the oil off first. Put the mixture in the fridge overnight or at least 4 hours.

Kraut:
Freeze about 4 strips of bacon and dice it as small as you can (food processor works also). Brown them in a large pan.
Add 1/2 a large onion or a whole small one, pureed or minced finely.
Add two large bags of kraut drained and rinsed into a food processor with enough water added to have it puree/mince well. Add it to the onion and bacon in the pan. Add two tablespoons of brown sugar, 1tsp salt, 1/2tspn black pepper. Simmer on low- medium heat for 30-40 minutes covered until soft. Put in a fine strainer and get all the liquid out by pushing on it with a bowl, then chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

Dough:
Mix in a bowl:
4 eggs
1tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
..until blended then slow add...
4.25 cups of sifted all purpose flour
I really like the kitchenaid dough hook by the time you start adding flour.

Set each batch of dough on a flour'd countertop with a bowl over the top to keep it from drying out. You can make all your dough before filling any. You'll need about 4 batches of dough for 5lbs pototo filling and at least 3 batches for the kraut.

Roll out the dough 1/2 batch at a time to about 3/16" thick. Cut out circles with a 3 inch diameter glass. Remove the waste dough, ball it up and add it back under the bowl to keep it from drying out. Put about a tablespoon of filling in the middle of the sticky side of the circle (the part that was down on the counter/table), fold it over to make a half circle and pinch the edges between two fingers until completely sealed. Be sure not to get the filling on the sealing edges, it won't close. Set them aside on a table with a tablecloth and leave them to dry for a few hours.

Once dry, drop them in salted boiling water and boil for 3 minutes after they start floating. Dip in melted butter and either brown them in a pan for immediate eating or put them in a freezer bag.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
njnear76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm polish too. Actually 100%. Cue jokes.

We make stuffed cabbage here. The wife has made pierogies, but the dough never seemed quite right. I will have to try your recipe.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

It's all in the sour cream.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I love to make the Kraut filled ones myself. I like my dough to be really thin. Mmm....Pierogi!

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I love Pierogi!! I wish I could say I'm Polish but Yooper has revoked my polish privileges. I might have to try these recipes out since Yooper has reneged on her recipes. BTW I am Polish and love going to Polish Fest here in Milwaukee.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My grandmother used to make dessert pierogis with blueberries and cream cheese as a filling.

I really miss having decent kielbasa, all I can find around here is that Pepperidge Farm crap. Whenever I see my grandparents, I always find some kielbasa and kishke.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree that the sour cream in the dough is key. It makes the dough more workable.
My Grandma's recipe is nearly identical to yours, except her's contains butter and water, and another 4.75 cups of flour to get you around seven dozen.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm a "ski" as well. Mmmmm Pierogi.

Töpperwein Brewery

Old 12-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
I agree that the sour cream in the dough is key. It makes the dough more workable.
My Grandma's recipe is nearly identical to yours, except her's contains butter and water, and another 4.75 cups of flour to get you around seven dozen.
I never quite know the yield of a single batch of dough so I just try to stay one batch ahead while I'm stuffing and pinching. It's pretty easy with a kitchenaid, just dump it in and let it run. If you end up running out of filling and have dough left, roll it out and use a pizza cutter to make noodles. Yummy.

New Stuff?

Old 12-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We usually end up coming short with the dough, and end up freezing the leftover balls of cheese and potatos for next time. Here are some shots from our "Holiday Run"

10-dozen_399x300.jpg   ready2boil.jpg  

Last edited by Glibbidy; 12-18-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply