The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Pizza dough, and washed yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
CCericola
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Pizza dough, and washed yeast

I'm in the process of washing my yeast, and I've read a bit on making bread from the yeast. The one thing I can never seem to nail down is how much yeast. I realize ale yeast isn't conditioned to rise quickly so it needs longer, but does it need more yeast?

For example, if my recipe for dough calls for 1 tablespoon, is it 1 tablespoon of the ale yeast as well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2618

I've tried starting a response three times and keep deleting. Man.. put some yeast in, ya a couple table spoons . The yeast are going to grow. How long it takes them you'll have to find out by waiting.. But when it' ready, if you have any experience in baking bread, you'll know by it's siZe the dough is ready for a punch down re-knead and set before making into a loaf.

Reading what I wrote I probably sound like an a$$. But seriously, give it a shot.

Yeast are pretty darn tough whether they are bread yeast or beer yeast. Just treat them well, let them enjoy a nice temp to do their thing in and give them time.

When brewing beer or bread making the yeast need to be taken care of. They do all the work.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2958 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 2499

I've tried to make sourdough from yeast from my berliner weisse . It never rose properly. I did make it, but it wasn't as sour as I wanted. Tried to grow a SD starter for weeks.

I expected it to go crazy and I'd have to punch it back down, but no.

Good luck, hope you are more successful than I was.

(BTW, I make a mean thin & crispy from pizzamaking.com; great site for everything pizza)

Quick Reply