Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Pairing Beer with Cigars...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
toastermm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pairing Beer with Cigars...

I'm curious if anyone else does this. I'm not super well versed in the area of cigars, but I definitely enjoy a nice beer/homebrew with a proper cigar. I refuse to smoke more than about 4-5 times a year, since I also do lots of long distance running, but when I do I like to have a nice beer with it.

What I like to smoke and drink depends on the season mostly. I smoke very mild cigars in the summer and in the winter I switch to medium or low-end spicy cigars. I prefer the shorter ones, as I do not usually feel like smoking a cigar for more than an hour or so.

My favorite cigars to pair off right now are mild Vegas 5's, a standard gurkah, or possibly an Acid blond. The beers that seem to go well are the maltier ones for me- marzens, browns, oktoberfests, etc., ...

Anyone else? Or am I alone in this matter?

Bottled: Quad, Cherry Dubbel, Sour Brown, Flanders Red, 12-12-12 Wee Heavy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
CigarAle
Recipes 

Good to see someone else who's interested in doing this. 1st) I'd quit smoking the ACID brand when trying to pair it with beer. There is a strong flavoring added to the cigar and with that they tend to overpower the taste of the beer instead of complimenting it. 2nd) For your oktoberfests try smoking an Arturo Fuente Magnum R. It's a medium bodied smoke that has a lot of flavor and some small spice but not overwhelming. The chocolate porter you've got now would be good with a rich maduro (dark). Try Oliva Series O maduro. Darker cigars are not strong just very flavorful. Milder cigars would be better with a pale or amber ale. Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
9am53
Recipes 

I like CAO MX2 for something malty like a porter or stout, and I prefer something grassy like por laranaga for lagers. I also find that cohibas go quite well with any ale that doesn't have too much hop character.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Barleywines, especially those with bourbon or something like that, and cigars, ftw.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This may be blastphamy to some of you guys, but I really don't like beer with cigars. The flavors in cigars are just so intense and complex that I don't like anything carbonated to hit my taste buds while smoking one.

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
This may be blastphamy to some of you guys, but I really don't like beer with cigars. The flavors in cigars are just so intense and complex that I don't like anything carbonated to hit my taste buds while smoking one.
I don;'t think it's blasphemy at all, I can see where you're coming from, I wouldn't like it with a highly carbed beers like pilsners or wits, or even most Belgians, but not everything's highly carbed, Barleywines, RIS things like that are almost like cordials anyway. Not that carbed at all.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Germelli1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don;'t think it's blasphemy at all, I can see where you're coming from, I wouldn't like it with a highly carbed beers like pilsners or wits, or even most Belgians, but not everything's highly carbed, Barleywines, RIS things like that are almost like cordials anyway. Not that carbed at all.
Good point! I actually was huge in to cigars my first two years of college. I got to know the owner of the shop really well through a weekly poker game I attended. He helped me get a fully stocked humidor lined up and since then, it has been like a pipeline in brewing terms....except I smoke 1 ever 4 months now.

Now that I think about it, about the time I went from smoking 1-3 a week to 4 a year was about the time I got really into beer. So maybe I will give the pairings a nother shot!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
Good point! I actually was huge in to cigars my first two years of college. I got to know the owner of the shop really well through a weekly poker game I attended. He helped me get a fully stocked humidor lined up and since then, it has been like a pipeline in brewing terms....except I smoke 1 ever 4 months now.

Now that I think about it, about the time I went from smoking 1-3 a week to 4 a year was about the time I got really into beer. So maybe I will give the pairings a nother shot!
Yeah go for something thicker and less carbed and see what you think.

I'm allowing myself 1 cigar maybe every six months or so. I wasn't going to at all after surgery. But at Terrapinchef's wedding they had actual Cuban's, and even my GF suggested I treat myself.

So I guess I'll make it special every once an awhile, choose a good one and pair it with a special beer.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Germelli1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah go for something thicker and less carbed and see what you think.

I'm allowing myself 1 cigar maybe every six months or so. I wasn't going to at all after surgery. But at Terrapinchef's wedding they had actual Cuban's, and even my GF suggested I treat myself.

So I guess I'll make it special every once an awhile, choose a good one and pair it with a special beer.
It was my surgeries as well that caused me to cut back. The 5 practices a week plus condition mornings of my college rugby team is actually what justified cigars in cardio terms for me. After all my shoulder injuries and surgeries I have not been as active so I have cut out cigars for the most part!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

I think I found my next beer to pair with a cigar.

I wonder when Goose Island releases it every year. It would be a perfect beer to enjoy an good cigar with. I just wonder what would be the best cigar for it.

Quick Reply